Exhaust fan question

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
I'd like to turn my single-car garage into a cigar lounge. I need advice on an exhaust fan. This is in a townhouse end-unit with a tiny single-car garage. It is about 10'x20'. The garage is next to a storage area where there is an existing 4" exhaust vent. I'd like to install an in-line fan from my garage to that vent. I am not sure how to size the fan. I'd like to get something that is affective in removing cigar smoke, but I think that 4" vent is the limiting factor.
Also, I am thinking that an in-line fan would be keep noise to a minimum in the garage. Any pros on here offer some advice on where to start?

Can I use a 6" in-line fan and taper it down to a 4" vent or is that a waste of money or worse it might cause the fan motor to work harder and prematurely burn out?

Once I figure out the size, then I'd need to choose the fan. I replaced the dead powder room exhaust fan with a Panasonic fan and was impressed with its quality. Is Panasonic the brand to stick with for in-line fans?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Panasonic fans are great. Never reduce a termination. Check the sones of each one you are considering.
Fantech is also a well respected in-line fan mfr. I've used and have on one bathroom. I would say it is not that quiet compared to a good Panasonic Whisper conventional boxed...but check the sones listings.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Panasonic fans are great. Never reduce a termination. Check the sones of each one you are considering.
Fantech is also a well respected in-line fan mfr. I've used and have on one bathroom. I would say it is not that quiet compared to a good Panasonic Whisper conventional boxed...but check the sones listings.
Thanks. That’s what I was assuming about reducing the duct size. The existing 4” vent is original and the house is aluminum sided. Is it easy to replace it with a 6” vent and get it to be water tight without messing up the aluminum siding?

Higgledy

Reaction score
Because if it were 6” vent then I can buy a fan with a high CFM rating. I’m assuming the garage door has enough leakage to provide a good air draw. Idk

Higgledy

Reaction score
Wow. I didn’t know. Thank you.
So what type of contractor can I hire to upgrade the vent and do a good job with the aluminum siding?

Also, all the vents I’ve seen at the big box stores are just garbage. Can you guys recommend a quality 6” vent for me?

Higgledy

Reaction score
Maybe I should hire out the entire job. Especially if I can find a good contractor. Around where I live you hire a company and they send out a guy without any experience

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
HVAC contractors do duct work. To make a nice hole in aluminum siding we use the appropriate hole saw, make a plywood template to keep the process aligned if just expanding a hole.
The reality is that you will end up with a caulk joint seal because in most after-the-fact cases it may not be possible to layer the waterproofing.

Higgledy

Reaction score
HVAC contractors do duct work. To make a nice hole in aluminum siding we use the appropriate hole saw, make a plywood template to keep the process aligned if just expanding a hole.
The reality is that you will end up with a caulk joint seal because in most after-the-fact cases it may not be possible to layer the waterproofing.
Bummer. I wanted to keep it maintenance free.

What about a quality vent? Do they exist?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks