Bathroom fan exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

Higgledy

Reaction score
I own a TH with two baths upstairs. I’ve discovered both exhaust fans are only ducted to the joists, not to the outside. How my TH is setup above the baths is a finished loft. To the left is a staircase, to the right is the next TH. In the loft are two dormers, each with a small attic. I am thinking I could route both bath ducts thru the joists to a single in-line exhaust fan inside one of the dormer attics and vent thru the roof. Is this a solid solution? (Given the in-line exhaust fan is sized correctly and it’s installed correctly). Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sure hope mold and rot hasn't started in the joist area. How old is the building? Do other units have the same issue? It sound to me it's a builder issue to resolve. Your solution sounds good. In line exhaust fans will help a lot pulling air. You can actually eliminate the noisy fan in the bathroom and just use in line exhaust fans. Sharing duct work usually won't be a problem since it would be rare that both bathroom exhaust fans would be running at the same time.

Higgledy

Reaction score
Sure hope mold and rot hasn't started in the joist area. How old is the building? Do other units have the same issue? It sound to me it's a builder issue to resolve. Your solution sounds good. In line exhaust fans will help a lot pulling air. You can actually eliminate the noisy fan in the bathroom and just use in line exhaust fans. Sharing duct work usually won't be a problem since it would be rare that both bathroom exhaust fans would be running at the same time.
The building was built in 1993. The builder is long out of business. I just spoke to my neighbor, his baths are vented the same way. Fortunately for him he has no loft and can go straight up from the bathroom into the attic and out the roof. In fact, he had a new roof put installed and the roofers installed the vent caps at the same time.

Does anyone know which brand fans will give me the best reliability?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks