Eljer tank no molded overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYorBust, Mar 20, 2021.

1. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

So I have this eljer ball tank pictured below. Often when the ball come down it sticks on the side and does seal all the way down. I've replaced the ball with a new korky one, and cleaned things up a bit. And tightened the nuts and screw on the handle to reduce play, but no luck. Is there anything else I can adjust?

Thanks!

DIY

20210320_133327.jpg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could try a photo from straight-above.

Is that guide for the rod centered, or does it lean the rod wrong?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

It has a two piece lift wire, the guides appear straight, but there is definitely play for the lift wire.

20210320_143917.jpg 20210320_143910.jpg

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    From the center photo, it appears that the rods are "interlinked", and if so, THAT is your problem. The lower one is supposed to slide through the loop on the upper one.

6. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

I'm having trouble picturing how that would work. Do I have the right parts? Should it be just one continuous rod?

7. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

Ok, I think I figured out what you are saying, the upper lift wire should have a 90 degree bend at the bottom, and the lower wire passes through that loop, but the two loops do not interlock. I'm ordering a lift wire with a bend, I think if I try to bend this one it will just snap. Thank you.

8. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

Thank you reach4 and HJ. I installed the 90 degree lift wire, and now the ball can move more freely and does not catch on the side of the flush valve. I attached a picture since it is hard to describe in words. I'm very excited as this is appears to be an original 1920s or 1930s unit, and with the tank bolted to the wall I cannot find a modern wc that I'm certain would cover the bolt holes in the tilework. This bathroom is not frequently used, so the water savings of a new wc would be minimal. I'll try and post back if anything else interesting happens with it. Thanks again!

DiY

Attached Files: