Eljer tank no molded overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
So I have this eljer ball tank pictured below. Often when the ball come down it sticks on the side and does seal all the way down. I've replaced the ball with a new korky one, and cleaned things up a bit. And tightened the nuts and screw on the handle to reduce play, but no luck. Is there anything else I can adjust?

Thanks!

DIY

20210320_133327.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try a photo from straight-above.

Is that guide for the rod centered, or does it lean the rod wrong?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the center photo, it appears that the rods are "interlinked", and if so, THAT is your problem. The lower one is supposed to slide through the loop on the upper one.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Ok, I think I figured out what you are saying, the upper lift wire should have a 90 degree bend at the bottom, and the lower wire passes through that loop, but the two loops do not interlock. I'm ordering a lift wire with a bend, I think if I try to bend this one it will just snap. Thank you.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thank you reach4 and HJ. I installed the 90 degree lift wire, and now the ball can move more freely and does not catch on the side of the flush valve. I attached a picture since it is hard to describe in words. I'm very excited as this is appears to be an original 1920s or 1930s unit, and with the tank bolted to the wall I cannot find a modern wc that I'm certain would cover the bolt holes in the tilework. This bathroom is not frequently used, so the water savings of a new wc would be minimal. I'll try and post back if anything else interesting happens with it. Thanks again!

DiY

Attachments

• 20210327_000013.jpg
    20210327_000013.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210327_000013.jpg
    20210327_000013.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 99
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks