Electric heater off when you are on travel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
Do you cut the electric water heater breaker off and shut off the water to your house when you go off for a few days or a week?
My house water shut off is easy and accessible, breaker is too (of course)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do you cut the electric water heater breaker off and shut off the water to your house when you go off for a few days or a week?
My house water shut off is easy and accessible, breaker is too (of course)

I turn mine off. Just to protect from water leaks. If the power is off to the water heater, It protects the elements from melting due to lack of water.

When I get home, I turn on the water first, Then connect power to the heater. It takes a bit of time to recover.

montelatici

Reaction score
I never shut mine down when on vacation because I had to do it the breaker and the breaker box is behind a library shelf and books have to be taken out, etc. My new water heater has a shut-off at the water heater and a digital control with vacation mode so I put into vacation mode for two weeks. When I returned I set it back to normal operation and the next morning the hot water stank to high heaven of sulphur/rotten eggs. I then looked around and called a plumber friend who said that during the cooling process the water will be at a temperature that is optimum for bacteria growth for quite a long time and that sulphur bacteria has probably grown within the heater. He said that if the smell doesn't go away after 2 weeks, I will have to disinfect the water heater with bleach or hydrogen peroxide. So no, don't turn off your heater while on vacation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks