Ejector pump keeps burning out-3 in yr and half

Users who are viewing this thread

drewo

Reaction score
I have a bathroom in my basement-toilet, shower, and sink. My ejector pump is in a underground basin and it keeps burning out. I am about to put my third one in in about a 1.5/2 year span. Is there a common mistake that I could have made in the installation that would cause this? I also have very rusty water. Could this be causing the failure and if so, is there anything I can do about it? Thank you for any input you may have.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't work with sump pumps but, since no one else is helping....

This type pump probably has a duty cycle. If the pump is made for continuous running, it is better than one that has say a 15 minute duty cycle. Running a pump longer than it's duty cycle will destroy it.

Also cycling a pump will cause it's destruction. If the sump is too small or the float switch set to close, the pump can cycle itself to death in short order.

That being said, pumps are designed to fail. They build in just enough meat to get past the warranty period. You might be able to find a higher quality pump.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If the sump is too small or the float switch set to close, the pump can cycle itself to death in short order.

Yes, that is likely your problem. I have an ejector pump in a sump for the toilet only, and my sump is large enough that the pump only starts after at least three flushes have been made. I have my shower/tub and sink draining into a second sump that is large enough to let its pump cycle only once or twice per shower.

To do something simple about your problem, you *might* be able to alter/adjust the span of your float switch's travel. But, be careful there. I have been told some of the less-expensive pumps (such as mine) with the switches hanging on their sides are not meant to be fully submerged ... and that might explain why a stainless screw holds the float switch to the side of my pump that has regular screws holding it together at the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks