Educate me

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
What exactly do these numbers mean? If the pump is at 49’ and the well is 50’, could this be why my dad gets silt in his filter quickly?

Attachments

• C94E645B-1851-4605-B806-5BA4B5BD8F35.jpeg
    C94E645B-1851-4605-B806-5BA4B5BD8F35.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 52

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pump is set 1' off the bottom, which is probably why he gets silt. With static at 38', you really cant' shorten the drop pipe. Might just try pumping out the silt.

Last edited:

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
So there’s 11’ from the bottom
(I assume) of the pump to the top of the water in the well pipe? Seems like that’s enough room to raise the pump a few feet? Yes?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The water level will drop within the well casing when the pump is running and water is being pumped out from the well.

So there’s 11’ from the bottom
I think you are saying the 'static' water level is up 11' from the bottom of the well so that would signify with a 50' well depth, the static level is 39' from the top of the well.

With such a shallow well, depending on the well's recovery rate and casing diameter, the 11' water depth will likely be pulled down fairly rapidly so raising the pump further up from the bottom can lead to the pump sucking air whenever a moderate quantity of water is pumped out.

Reach4

Reaction score
if I could raise the pump 6 inches would it help with the silt without pumping dry?

If the pump is only a foot up, then yes, it would reduce sediment.

Will it run the well dry? Your well cap says GPM:15, so if you are sucking 7 gpm, I would think not. If you are sucking 25 gpm, I would expect so.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Will it run the well dry? Your well cap says GPM:15, so if you are sucking 7 gpm, I would think not.
More detailed well reports would state what level the well is drawn down to when pumping 15 GPM so that number in and of itself is dubious. Probe the well as you draw 15 GPM to see what the level is.

IMHO, raising a pump 6 inches would be stop-gap at best if sediment is getting drawn in at the current depth. The rate of draw is probably a factor in motivating the sediment. Slowing the draw with a dole valve or a CSV should do more to keep from motivating the sediment if developing the well does not clear up the sediment.

Reach4

Reaction score
Oooh. I misread, and I was thinking the proposal was to raise by 6 ft.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you do not have a flow inducer sleeve or shroud on the pump the motor could actually be stuck under the mud. The endo of the motor could be stuck in the sand and the pump intake is 18" or so above that. With a shroud the pump/motor can be 6" off the bottom. But without a shroud that is getting too close to burying the end of the motor in the muck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks