DWV layout review

Users who are viewing this thread

AlamoShooter

Reaction score
I have a new home DIY plumbing permit with Colorado State, I am coming out of the Basement to unfinished floors above . This pipe is dry fit catching a basement W.C. and a Bar sink and Hand Sink , the Shower is at the end of run as it turns up on a long sweep 90 -to a San Tee - with a Vent turned up and thin to the Shower drain. The 3" pipe will go up to catch the kitchen drains and 2nd floor bath . the other bathroom will connect down the line closer to my Septic tank main line.
Will this pass code? , is the sweep for the Vent off the San Tee to the shower ok ?
I failed once because I thought I knew how to do it , The next fail will cost me
20190906_191821.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting can be done with bathroom fixtures on the same floor.

The upstairs can't be part of wet venting in the basement. So............

I see the shower has it's own vent, done with a combo. That is good.

A lav can wet vent a toilet as long as it's 2" and you're not adding a bar sink there. If you want to include the bar sink, that's a serperate deal from the toilet. If you give the toilet it's own vent, then that works. The toilet would get a 3x2 combo before it enters the main line there. You can't sweep the upstairs plumbing past an unvented fixture.

AlamoShooter

Reaction score
Wet venting can be done with bathroom fixtures on the same floor.

The upstairs can't be part of wet venting in the basement. So............

I see the shower has it's own vent, done with a combo. That is good.

A lav can wet vent a toilet as long as it's 2" and you're not adding a bar sink there. If you want to include the bar sink, that's a serperate deal from the toilet. If you give the toilet it's own vent, then that works. The toilet would get a 3x2 combo before it enters the main line there. You can't sweep the upstairs plumbing past an unvented fixture.

OK Thanks < think I can understand that, This other layout uses more pipe, The State Inspector did the good deed of looking at this photo and saying it would pass this way , I Foolishly thought I had found a better way . But with two 3" lines I could move the sinks over to up line of the toilet and just have the upstairs on the second " right hand" pipe Do you concur that this is the layout that works " the photo did not load" But is has a 4x4x3 Y and it branches to go up stairs downstream of the toilet branch

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The photo needs to be 800 pixels or less. I'm optimistic that you have it. I'm a hoping. With the picture I could give a better answer.
You can have three toilets on 3" and when the forth is added then it requires 4".
It's okay to have 4" but for most homes that means a 3" and three bathrooms. Side sewers tend to be 4".

AlamoShooter

Reaction score
OK Your help is Really Great , I am thinking take one of the sinks and put it up line of the W.C. and leave one sink on the Main line that sweeps down from up stairs . Make both Sinks 2" lines venting both with Studor vents

Resized_Resized_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like that a lot better.
It looks like you're trying to wet vent the lav with the bar sink. Those should either be revented at 42" above the floor or have their own vents.
I'm sure it would work, but the code does say bathroom fixtures for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks