Dwv in the crawl space, will it freeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eltonmyers

Reaction score
Here in Iowa the frost line is 4' so I am replacing this 4" CI pipe that has totally rotted out, with schedule 40 pvc , some of the CI was in the ground, out of 16' maybe 4' was in the ground and there is one heat run running through this crawl space but I don't think it's heated, and the crawl space is attached to the basement but not real accessible, I am only asking because this will get inspected, so do I need to bury it 48" in the crawlspace

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a good question. I work on the West side of Washington where the frost line is 2 feet. We don't get frozen pipes in our crawl spaces here unless they are right in front of a vent. And some of our waste lines are on the outside of the homes.

Any Iowa plumbers here?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Drain lines do NOT "freeze", unless they are plugged up and full of water or there is a small constant leak so the ice can build up. It would not help if you buried the lines 48" deep, but the sewer was only 30" below ground.

Eltonmyers

Reaction score
I ask an inspector from a different town and he said treat it like ground work so I called the inspector from the town I was in and he said as long as i just cut and replace without changing direction it would be fine as long as it was secured

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A decent crawl space is insulated around the exposed exterior walls and will not freeze under normal conditions. The ground near the center of the house will rarely fall below 45-50F.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks