Drop ear elbow makes crackling noise

Users who are viewing this thread

JKC

Reaction score
Hey all,

I installed a drop ear sweat elbow for tub stub out. It’s pretty loud making crackling sound at full flow. Not sure if it the elbow or another problem. Would it be better to have a long sweep? What other options do I have before I close up the wall?

I also did something different with utilizing high flow shower only Delta mixer to diverter and then to tub spout. I knew I’d lose some GPM but could this have an effect on the above? Is the a long negative effect by this design? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 51

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Did you deburr the inside of your pipes before soldering? That could make a whistling sound at high speeds. Probably not a crackling sound though.

And you're sure the sound is coming from the elbow and not the valve?

And does it do it with both hot and cold water?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
probebly just noisy because of the high flow , kind of uncharted territory for me hooking up a tub to a shower outlet but i wouldnt expect issue of cource its noisy in an open room as well aftrer its all closed up should get better. If its that bad try swapping out the 90 temporarily , but you dont need long turns . de burring could make differance not sure kinda doubt thats the problem but theorehticaly it helps

JKC

Reaction score
Did you deburr the inside of your pipes before soldering? That could make a whistling sound at high speeds. Probably not a crackling sound though.

And you're sure the sound is coming from the elbow and not the valve?

And does it do it with both hot and cold water?
I did deburr however did cross my mind with just lots going on at the time that I can’t guarantee I didn’t miss an end. But like you said the sound would probably be different.

I’m pretty sure it is. Doesn’t seem to be coming from the mixer or diverter.
Could this be caused if there is air stuck in the lines?
It does do with both hot cold however maybe slightly more noticeable with hot.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are shower only valves I would guess the noise is related to that. But I can't really say that should cause noise. Cracking seems like a strange noise to be coming from that, I would expect a whistling more likley.

JKC

Reaction score
probebly just noisy because of the high flow , kind of uncharted territory for me hooking up a tub to a shower outlet but i wouldnt expect issue of cource its noisy in an open room as well aftrer its all closed up should get better. If its that bad try swapping out the 90 temporarily , but you dont need long turns . de burring could make differance not sure kinda doubt thats the problem but theorehticaly it helps
I hooked up this way because I think it’s over complicating it to have to pull up the diverter on the tub spout to utilize the separate diverter between shower and wand. I like the idea of turning on the valve and it’s already on the shower head setting. I know, I’m overthinking it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
air wont stick in the lines it will blow through i suppose its possible the high flow going through that line is turbulant and causing noise caused by the valve as well a possibility

Reactions: JKC

JKC

Reaction score
Those are shower only valves I would guess the noise is related to that. But I can't really say that should cause noise. Cracking seems like a strange noise to be coming from that, I would expect a whistling more likley.
I went with that valve because I didn’t have to block the tub port and it had a more direct and larger opening up to the diverter. I wouldn’t think it would cause any abnormal noise ‍♂️

JKC

Reaction score
air wont stick in the lines it will blow through i suppose its possible the high flow going through that line is turbulant and causing noise caused by the valve as well a possibility
I haven’t had water flow through the shower head or wand and there is a pocket of air in those line. That wouldn’t cause an issue would it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
why arent you testing flow and noise levels at the shower head and wand? why check the tub?

JKC

Reaction score
why arent you testing flow and noise levels at the shower head and wand? why check the tub?
I need to. I was just focused on the tub and got distracted with the noise but then started thinking that the issue could possibly be trapped air. First time plumbing other than small fixes. Much respect for the trade. Have to be thinking ten steps ahead otherwise screwed.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Hold the tub spout while you open the valve. That should prevent the spout from vibrating due to the force of water going out. The vibration of the pipe and everything it's connected to could be making the noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks