Dripping Sounds Underneath Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
Hello,

I live out in rural Texas and its hard to get a plumber to come where I live. I have a house that is on a hillside with all 3 toilets on the top floor that extends down to a dirt cellar. House is only 5 years old. Just bought it a year ago.

I discovered that one of my toilets was leaking severely underneath, so I removed the tank and bowl. I discovered that the wax seal was not properly installed. I was able to pull it off the horn without any trouble. Usually there's lot of fun cleaning up the wax, but not here.

Anyway, I decided to replace it with a waxless seal. So I went to Home Depot and got the Fluid master waxless seal. Note: The metal flange is recessed about 5/8 inch below the tile floor and attached via wood screws. Note: I had to use 2 Fluid Master seals, according to their instructions and also get longer T Bolts. I installed the seals, placed over the toilet horn and tightened the bowl down. The bowl is not rocking and is level.

My problem is that I keep hearing dripping sounds coming from underneath the toilet bowl, especially when water is added to the bowl---- The water rises goes up and then goes down and then I hear drip drip drip. I've reseated the toilet twice, but the same result. I've seen no water leaking around the base of the toilet, near the flange or underneath the toilet down in the cellar. No indications of any water leaking period!

What could be going on that would cause the dripping sound when water is added to the bowl? I'm thinking that the water is displacing the water in the S trap and its going down the Pvc pipe 4-5 feet straight down causing the dripping sound and that its something I'll I have to live with and worry about? Another one of my toilets is making the same noise when water is added to the bowl. However, the third toilet doesn't. Thus my total confusion as to what is going on?

Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet (at least the style used in the USA) has the bowl literally filled to the brim and any excess will cause it to overflow down the drain. Most toilets, being made of porcelain, tend to mask the sound of water dripping out. But, as you add anything to the bowl, some must overflow (it may take a few seconds for it to equalize with that new deposit!), and, depending on the path it takes, you might hear it. As long as you don't hear any water escaping say after 30-seconds or so after flushing, there's probably nothing wrong with it. Some toilet designs are more prone to this than others. For example, the Toto toilets that use their UniFit adapter (which is made of plastic) used to be one of the sources of comment...they added some sound proofing to that plastic part, and it hasn't been as much of an observation since. But, it isn't a defect as much as a design decision. Most people either didn't notice, or didn't care. Bottom line, add something to a toilet, something must exit the bowl and you MIGHT be able to hear it depending on conditions.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've seen no water leaking around the base of the toilet, near the flange or underneath the toilet down in the cellar. No indications of any water leaking period!
Turn off the stop valve that feeds the flex line to the toilet fill valve.

See if the sound stops. See if the leaking stops.

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
A toilet (at least the style used in the USA) has the bowl literally filled to the brim and any excess will cause it to overflow down the drain. Most toilets, being made of porcelain, tend to mask the sound of water dripping out. But, as you add anything to the bowl, some must overflow (it may take a few seconds for it to equalize with that new deposit!), and, depending on the path it takes, you might hear it. As long as you don't hear any water escaping say after 30-seconds or so after flushing, there's probably nothing wrong with it. Some toilet designs are more prone to this than others. For example, the Toto toilets that use their UniFit adapter (which is made of plastic) used to be one of the sources of comment...they added some sound proofing to that plastic part, and it hasn't been as much of an observation since. But, it isn't a defect as much as a design decision. Most people either didn't notice, or didn't care. Bottom line, add something to a toilet, something must exit the bowl and you MIGHT be able to hear it depending on conditions.

Jadnashua,

The toilets are all made by Kohler and are porcelain. Nothing special as far as I can tell. I just went and poured some water into the toilet again, about 12 ounces each time. At first you would here a gush, then the dripping would start, but it lasted about 3 minutes each time and stopped???
I am using two FluidMaster waxless seals and a spacer to account for the 5/8 inch depth of my flange below the tiled floor. These rubberized seals might be the cause of the dripping?

Note: I don't have the tank attached. I Just have the bowl attached to the flange right now. I also have dye in it. Note: I've previously tested the tank and there is no leaks. I used dye and nothing went into the bowl. Again, I've seen no dye water around the base, or below in the basement where the pipe flows. Although the water would drop about 4-5 feet from the toilet flange straight down before hitting the lateral drainage pipe. So this could factor in to the dripping noise? The PVC pipe isn't insulated and is standing open.

As you say, you add something to the toilet, it has to displace the water already there.

I have a second toilet nearby this one and it does the same dripping sound when water added to the bowl, it has a 4 - 5 foot PVC pipe connected to its flange. I haven't done anything to it and it doesn't appear to be leaking. The third toilet on the other side of the house, also not leaking, doesn't make any noise after flushing. But its connected differently. It's flange is connected to a shorter PVC drainage pipe which is insulated somewhat under the floor. As you can see why I have some confusion and worries about this toilet leaking or not.

So I guess based on what your saying, the leak noise is really dripping coming from inside the Pipe since I've haven't been able to see water leaking anywhere outside or underneath the toilet? Guess all I can do is keep pouring dye into the bowl for a while and see if it appears somewhere, just to be on the safe side? My only concern was potential water damage to the wood subfloor underneath the tile.

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
Turn off the stop valve that feeds the flex line to the toilet fill valve.

See if the sound stops. See if the leaking stops.

Reach4,

I don't have the tank attached at this time! I previously tested it using dye and it appears the tank and the fill valve are functioning properly. Currently, I'm have dye in the bowl and pouring water into it. As stated, when I do this, I first hear a gushing sound and then it turns into a dripping sound that lasts 3-4 minutes. I still don't see any water underneath the bowl or underneath the floor where the toilet flange is connected to a 4-5 foot long PVC pipe. It could be the drip noise if being caused by the fluid master waxless seals and they way they are stacked, but this is just conjecture>

Reach4

Reaction score
When you stop adding water to the bowl, the dripping stops within 4 minutes.

There are no leaks that you can see.

The water level of the bowl settles at a reasonable level.

Don't worry.

If you have access to the pipe area, you could look at sound deadening material to put around the pipe.

Last edited:

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
When you stop adding water to the bowl, the dripping stops within 4 minutes.

There are no leaks that you can see.

The water level of the bowl settles at a reasonable level.

Don't worry.

If you have access to the pipe area, you could look at sound deadening material to put around the pipe.

Reach4,

Yes to All!

Still hard not to worry about leaks. Hard to find repair or servicemen in my area, so preventive maintenance is prudent to say the least!

I'll look into trying to find some type of sound proof insulation. Can't hurt just like chicken soup! :)

Thanks for the assistance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's good reasons why high end installs still tend to use cast iron pipes...they're much quieter.

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
There's good reasons why high end installs still tend to use cast iron pipes...they're much quieter.

Jadnashua,

Yep! My toilet and home construction is definitely not high end! :)

I will keep an eye out for a while underneath the toilet base and the floor for potential water, but I believe y'all are correct that it's just overflow water dripping through the waxless seals inside the toilet down the PVC pipe. Still annoying though!

Thanks for the assistance!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Back when I was doing new houses, sometimes I'd hear this peculiar dripping sound while I was doing the set-out. In starting, none of the traps had water in them, and as I checked out a fixture, you could hear up through the pipes and toilets, water dripping into the septic tank way down the line. Sounded like the pinging noise on a WWII submarine movie.

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
Just an FYI!

I went ahead and changed out the wax seal on another one of my toilets! This toilet was making dripping sounds when adding water to the bowl. Anyway, I pulled this toilet and yep!, the two wax seals(stacked) had hardened and were showing damage. The wax seals came out again without the need for any heavy cleaning up just like the other toilet. Also, its flange was about recessed about 1/2 inch below the tile floor just like the other one.

I went ahead and installed 2 FluidMaster better than wax seals along with a spacer over the flange. Again had to use 3 inch T bolts. I was able to seat the toilet and feel the seals compressing. I tightened up the T bolts once I had the toilet level without any rocking motions on the tile. Again without the tank attached, I poured dyed water into the bowl. Again, no signs of leaking around the base or leaking seen underneath the toilet in the cellar. However, again I heard the same dripping sounds for a while when water is added to the bowl. I then attached the tank and flushed several or more times again once filling after several minutes you would hear some dripping but then it would quit. Poured water into the bowl and it would make dripping sounds inside for 30 sec to a minute. Not as prolonged as the other toilet for some reason.

In summary, it appears that the 2 FluidMaster Seals and spacer set up are working in the two toilets I've installed them in so far. It appears that these waxless seals are noiser than using regular wax seals. At least that's what its looking like so far! Probably wax seals have better sound proof properties than these rubberized FluidMaster seals???

Two toilets down and another one to go!

Again thanks for everyone's assistance and advice that has been provided to me in regard to this matter!

James L Gayhart

Reaction score
Hello, I'm following up from my August 22, 2017 post just as an FYI and also just in case some other DIY runs into the same problems I had.

The two toilets that I installed Fluid Master waxless seals on(See my prior posts) are still making dripping sounds when water/material is added to the bowl. However no water is leaking from either of them. I've regularly check the PVC pipes underneath floor for the last year and no water leakage has been detected. Dry as a desert!

Just recently I replaced the wax seals on the 3rd toilet. It was installed just like the other two toilets. Two seals stacked upon one another. These seals had dried out! I was able to remove them without the usual mess associated with removing wax seals since they were so dry I was able to pop them off the horn with my hands. Hardly any wax residue remained to be cleaned away. Anyway, I replaced these wax seals with 2 Fluid Master waxless seals. This time I also used one of the spacers supplied with the seals. I still had to purchase and use 1/4 X 3 1/2 inch brass toilet bolts to tighten the bowl down on the two seals and spacer.

Once I had tightened the toilet down and started adding water to the bowl, I expected to start hearing the famous dripping sound, but to my amazement, this toilet when water/material is added to the bowl is an quiet as a church mouse! No noise whatsoever! Again, I checked underneath the floor in the basement and no leaking whatsoever.

In summary, it looks like that the dripping sounds coming from the other two toilets could be that I did not use the spacer with the 2 Fluid Master waxless seals, although when I tried the spacer with the 2 seals on the other two toilets it seemed that they would not sit level when attempting to tighten them down. Since the 3rd toilet is not making any dripping sounds I've decided to violate the old adage, " If it works don't try to fix it!" and will now attempt to add the spacer collar to one of the other two toilets making dripping sounds. If adding the spacer collar with the 2 fluid master waxless seals eliminates the dripping sound, I'll do it to the other toilet.

I'll let you know what happens! Again, I'm hoping this will help some other poor unfortunate DIY plumber who runs into the same problems I've had!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm following up from my August 22, 2017 post just as an FYI and also just in case some other DIY runs into the same problems I had.

The two toilets that I installed Fluid Master waxless seals on(See my prior posts) are still making dripping sounds when water/material is added to the bowl. However no water is leaking from either of them. I've regularly check the PVC pipes underneath floor for the last year and no water leakage has been detected. Dry as a desert!

Just recently I replaced the wax seals on the 3rd toilet. It was installed just like the other two toilets. Two seals stacked upon one another. These seals had dried out! I was able to remove them without the usual mess associated with removing wax seals since they were so dry I was able to pop them off the horn with my hands. Hardly any wax residue remained to be cleaned away. Anyway, I replaced these wax seals with 2 Fluid Master waxless seals. This time I also used one of the spacers supplied with the seals. I still had to purchase and use 1/4 X 3 1/2 inch brass toilet bolts to tighten the bowl down on the two seals and spacer.

Once I had tightened the toilet down and started adding water to the bowl, I expected to start hearing the famous dripping sound, but to my amazement, this toilet when water/material is added to the bowl is an quiet as a church mouse! No noise whatsoever! Again, I checked underneath the floor in the basement and no leaking whatsoever.

In summary, it looks like that the dripping sounds coming from the other two toilets could be that I did not use the spacer with the 2 Fluid Master waxless seals, although when I tried the spacer with the 2 seals on the other two toilets it seemed that they would not sit level when attempting to tighten them down. Since the 3rd toilet is not making any dripping sounds I've decided to violate the old adage, " If it works don't try to fix it!" and will now attempt to add the spacer collar to one of the other two toilets making dripping sounds. If adding the spacer collar with the 2 fluid master waxless seals eliminates the dripping sound, I'll do it to the other toilet.

I'll let you know what happens! Again, I'm hoping this will help some other poor unfortunate DIY plumber who runs into the same problems I've had!
I have the same issue with my Kohler toilet and waxless seal. I paid a plumber over $200 to look into the issue. He changed the flapper and told me that was the issue. IT WAS NOT! I’m now up in the middle of the night listening to drip....drip.....drip..! I’m worried sick I have a leak somewhere and yet, the ceiling downstairs hasn’t collapsed and there is no water around the bowl. What happened when you added the spacer to the other bowl? Thanks!

Mliu

Reaction score
I have no direct experience with these waxless seals. But looking at photos of the product, I have an idea what may be causing the problem. Compare a standard wax seal to the Fluidmaster waxless seal:

038753311852.jpg
ToiletSeal_7530_520x600.png

Notice how the wax ring is smooth at the top and has a smooth funnel-shaped interior? Now contrast that with the waxless rubber seal. It has a lip at the top and a ledge in the middle of the "throat." I suspect the lip and/or the ledge is catching water and allowing it to drip down the drain pipe for some time after the flush has finished.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks