Dripping sound from INSIDE tank

Users who are viewing this thread

art3mis

Reaction score
Hi
so i've googled and have read

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ask-toh/troubleshoot-dripping-toilet Why is there a continuous dripping sound coming from my toilet?

To stop the dripping sound I usually need to flush and 'jiggle' the flush handle.

Total plumbing noob and I'm also renting.

Going on vacation for a couple weeks soon. My noob question Is there any chance at all of flooding from a slow drip like this?

Will let landlord know but based on past experience expect a month or so before any maintenance is done.

Reach4

Reaction score
Going on vacation for a couple weeks soon. My noob question Is there any chance at all of flooding from a slow drip like this?
No. Turning off the stop valve on the toilet supply could save a bit of water.

If you really want to be cautious, you could turn off the water to the unit. What if a washing machine hose breaks, or whatever? In any case turn the water heater (WH) to Vacation mode if it has one, otherwise turn the WH to OFF.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If jiggling the handle fixes it, then many a new flapper and/or handle. I would try the flapper first.
A slow leak wastes water but rarely causes a problem unless you have a bad seal at the floor flange. It does waste water and money though. You would be surprised to know how much that can cost in a month.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks