drip line setup

Users who are viewing this thread

scheetz83

Reaction score
Hello

I am new to this forum and I need a little help.

I am setting up a drip irrigation system to irrigate about 30 new trees on two zones with zone 1 (drip)putting out 45gph and zone 2 (Microsprinklers) putting out 65gph. I am looking at using a pair of sprinkler valves with a lawn sprinkler timer. I am trying to do it cheap because with in the next few years the trees should be able to handle the selves

My questions are:

I understand that some valves will not work on a low flow application. what valve would work the best for me?

I have about 3 rolls of this wire http://www.amazon.com/Works-30031-HFWBC50-Speaker-Burial/dp/B00016HY98
that I was going to use but never did will it work for the sprinkler valve wiring? I will have to splice it twice as the controller is 110ft from the valves.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That 16 gauge wire is more than adequate for your application.

I also see no issues with flow on a zone valve. These valves are used all the time on drip sytems. If it is an anti-siphon type valve, pressure is what activates the diaphragm and the vacuum breaker poppet. Low flow should cause no problems.

If you get your valves at a box store, Rainbird or Toro would be among the choices. Do NOT by the "homeowner" cheapie; you will have trouble with these. Expect to pay around $20 to $25 each.

For the money, the RainJet and Orbit brands are OK.

scheetz83

Reaction score
that's great to know

I was at the local Home improvement store today and was looking at the valves they had orbits, Toro, rainbird, and lawn genie. Some had a min and max flow rate listed and some did not. I think I will go with the rainbirds as they where only $15. The Box said on flows of less then 3gpm I must install a RBY filter upstream.

``What is a RBY filler, is it special type of Y filter?

``I have a Rain drip Y filter installed at the beginning of the drip system. Is that what they are talking about?

``Also I have seen setup where there is for example 3 valves and each valve has a y filter just before it. Is that necisary?

``Wont 1 y filter on the main supply line to both valves do the trick.

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks