Draining Sort Of (washing machine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chowsman

Reaction score
I just moved the washer and dryer to the center of the home. As you can see by the pictures the run was long, about 15-16ft. I made sure of the correct slope. So I just hooked the washer up yesterday and when it drains a very small portion backs up from the floor drain as shown in the picture (comes up about 1/4"). Within like 2 seconds the water goes back down the floor drain. Any ideas?

Attachments

• drain01.JPG
    drain01.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 165
  • drain02.JPG
    drain02.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 168
  • run.JPG
    run.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 160

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to run a power snake because of where you tied into the old pipe that is partly blocked and needs to be cleaned

Chowsman

Reaction score
You need to run a power snake because of where you tied into the old pipe that is partly blocked and needs to be cleaned
The lines are brand new so there should be no blockage. Is there anyway there could be some sort of siphon effect, or something?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know about the floor drain, but the rough you have for the washer is wrong. You used a wye fitting instead of a santee.
The wye fitting allows the p-trap to siphon.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

This one is plumbed with the correct santee fitting.

Chowsman

Reaction score
I don't know about the floor drain, but the rough you have for the washer is wrong. You used a wye fitting instead of a santee.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

Thank-you for the quick reply.

Chowsman

Reaction score

I forgot to take a picture of my underground work but found a photo online that would be similar to the connection I did for the floor drain. I guess I will need to take your advice and change the type of connection from wye to santee. As I explain in my original post when the washer drains the floor drain backs up ever so slightly and then empties out.

washer_rough_sno.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.12.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.12.43 PM.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 150

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Inertia does not occur fast enough to prevent the initial water from backing up into the floor drain, because it goes into the side of the waste line. If it, and the washer, dropped for a distance first, it would not happen. I had it happen on a job once, when the 2" drain was long, and shallow. I cured it by installing a check valve in the floor drain's inlet to prevent the backflow.

Chowsman

Reaction score
So I have fixed the problem and one can only contemplate why this worked?? :) I agree with Terry and what I have read that there could have been siphoning from the p-trap but this actually was not the problem I was posting about. The problem was when the laundry drained the floor drain which is connected into the same line in the floor with a "Y" was backing up ever so slightly (keeping me up at night). I redid the piping from the laundry drain to the floor and this time using a "santee". The only thing that I can think would be different is that velocity of which the water was entering the pipe in the flooring and maybe when passing the "Y" caused so sort of vacuum/water wrap around effect. Who knows but now it works perfect. Thanks for the help and stay safe.

Chowsman

Reaction score
Inertia does not occur fast enough to prevent the initial water from backing up into the floor drain, because it goes into the side of the waste line. If it, and the washer, dropped for a distance first, it would not happen. I had it happen on a job once, when the 2" drain was long, and shallow. I cured it by installing a check valve in the floor drain's inlet to prevent the backflow.

What model of check-value did you install? Also, will the drain still work?

Chowsman

Reaction score

I'm still having an issue with water slightly coming out of the drain when the washer drains. I have a furnace on the other side of the wall that drains into the drain. Do you think if I could use something like Sioux Chief 2-inch Backwater Valve? Do you think I would have to switch to Condensate pump for the furnace? I hate to say: you can't see it but if the angle of the pipe underground was not 1/4" per foot from the wall to the Y to floor drain would that cause this problem?

Attachments

• drain.JPG
    drain.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 124
  • drain2.JPG
    drain2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 116
  • drain3.JPG
    drain3.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 116
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks