Drain rough-in and p trap placement for bathtub

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Scott Montross, Jul 12, 2019.

?

Is this p-trap and drain functional?

1. yes this will function and the tub will drain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no way man

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes but will likely not drain or smell

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Scott Montross

Scott Montross New Member

Long story short. Bought a house built in 1940, its awesome. Except there was no bathtub only a 60x30 mortar bed tiled shower. Wife requires a bathtub, so here we go. all is well through demolition and prep of the space. New subfloor installed, tub overflow drain assembled, tub fitted all looks good. Except I am having a hell of a time with the drain rough in, the positioning. Drain connection is 1 1/2" galvanized, I attached a 1 1/2 inch Fernco flexible coupling. attached to the other side is a 45 degree street elbow oriented horizontal and joined to 3 3/4" long piece of ABS, which feeds into the p trap. in order to reach the rough-in location for the drain I have to rotate the inlet to the current position shown in the photo. I prefer to not have to move the existing vent and stack. Is this even a plausible configuration? I welcome any help or recommendations.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can swivel the trap anyway it needs to go to work.
    The coupling should be a shielded coupling though to prevent the sagging that will occur over time.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Scott Montross

Scott Montross New Member

Easy enough. I considered the shielded coupling after reading a few of your other posts....However while purchasing supplies I was talked out of it. I will never again waiver on my "Trust in Terry" :) Thank you