Drain pipe slope

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Don327, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Don327

Don327 New Member

Building new utility room that’s at the same level as rest of the house. I’m about 30 feet from main drain pipe. Once I get through the floor, the new drain will already be at same level as main. If I put a drain pump under new sink, the 2” drain pipe will always hold water. Looking for advice on what to do. The house is ranch on crawl space.

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    There is no issue with the pumped line holding water.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Once you dig, you may find there is a much deeper drain line you could connect to, and thus not need the pump.

Rather than cutting through 30 ft of slab, how about exiting to the yard, and making the wye connection in the yard. While working there, you could add a cleanout too.

5. Don327

Don327 New Member

No slab I have a crawl space. There is a 4” pvc main that runs down center and out to septic. Problem is the main is close to joist at the end where the addition is. Is it better to run the 2” farther down and catch the main at a lower point? I would have to run probably 50’ to do this. Is it acceptable to run the 2” that far?

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

For a 50 ft path, it should drop 12.5 inches. When you turn more than 135 degrees, I think it is, you should have a cleanout. [​IMG] So you could use one of these with a cleanout fitting, instead of an elbow.

Dropping 2 inches is not enough. The line to the septic is probably deeper than 3 ft below ground.