Drain help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Nj921

Reaction score
Is anybody able to help me figure out a way to condense this stack? It was in the soffit. I understand I can’t eliminate it or put it completely in the wall/ceiling because the joists are in the way, but I’d like it to be as small as possible!

There is room and an opening right next to the window if I’m able to move the main stack there.

The left cast iron pipe is the toilet, the right cast iron pipe is the vent. 1-1/2 copper line feeding from the left side is the bathtub drain.

Any tips, suggestions, or help is appreciated!

00C832D3-A60D-4C49-A50C-F355EFD92C38.jpeg
641962EA-5A06-48CF-9776-D512D5537554.jpeg
83728032-4029-49D0-8258-FF7B787ADFB9.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way would be to run each to the exterior wall and bring each of those drains down the wall individually into a crawl space and then connect them all there.

Easier said than done.

Nj921

Reaction score
Is anybody able to help me figure out a way to condense this stack? It was in the soffit. I understand I can’t eliminate it or put it completely in the wall/ceiling because the joists are in the way, but I’d like it to be as small as possible!

There is room and an opening right next to the window if I’m able to move the main stack there.

The left cast iron pipe is the toilet, the right cast iron pipe is the vent. 1-1/2 copper line feeding from the left side is the bathtub drain.

Any tips, suggestions, or help is appreciated!
The best way would be to run each to the exterior wall and bring each of those drains down the wall individually into a crawl space and then connect them all there.

Easier said than done.

Nj921

Reaction score

Easier said than done.
I have full access to the main stack in the basement. It runs vertically straight down that wall.

So if I were to attach them on the basement, can I simply run them straight down the wall into the basement and connect with a Y at the top of the stack? I don’t know enough about the venting to understand that part. And that’s where I’m stuck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting? I don't see that there is any venting yet. Maybe it's the picture angle but I don't see enough there to determine if it's a legit job.

Nj921

Reaction score
Here’s the basement. That hole from the kitchen floor running down the window is right there. I can easily get all lines into the basement and meet right there, I just don’t know how to tie them in together safely.

EC381E88-20E7-4126-B7A8-7219C5DA2568.jpeg

Nj921

Reaction score
Venting? I don't see that there is any venting yet. Maybe it's the picture angle but I don't see enough there to determine if it's a legit job.
This one is the vent. The left one is the toilet.

07464835-7B6B-4AD6-8FB6-B9055E30DF04.jpeg

Nj921

Reaction score
Could I simply put a Y vertically in that stack, have the toilet to the left attach in to it, and then run the drain right into the back end of that tee at the bottom of the toilet like in this pic? Straight up vertical is vent, toilet is to the left, and the green is where the tub drain would come in.

Maybe I’m over thinking it, I’m just not a plumber and don’t want to have any issues.

45B05E1D-BEAE-4055-84D3-0049EEDED601.jpeg

Nj921

Reaction score
Would I be able to drop it into the basement like this? Blue on the left is tub, blue in the right is upstairs sink, green is main. Toilet will be connected to main in the existing spot, just closer together. Everything else dropped down the walls into the basement and connected with wyes.

083179F8-DB8F-40EB-BED4-C144904C8218.jpeg
2A1DC2D7-9626-4DEE-90F7-A5D8FF7AAACA.jpeg
32F29060-1E30-46A1-89D6-27D59A59B295.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, That is a more simple option than what I was going to suggest.. Moving those 3" lines may be difficult. Some careful measurements are your next step.

Clarice8419

Reaction score
The best course of action would be to link them all in the crawl area after running each drain to the outer wall and bringing them down the wall separately.

Nj921

Reaction score
The best course of action would be to link them all in the crawl area after running each drain to the outer wall and bringing them down the wall separately.
Plumber came out and did a hack job on my joists and the stud which is obviously an exterior wall.

B9859456-0A29-45F7-90B7-E3905DD278AC.jpeg
6052D62A-8DF0-40B1-8F6E-938E7AE3D2EC.jpeg
2D5F0919-DE22-4B5C-BDCC-C07B1BBCB667.jpeg
013DCF80-5616-4E72-8703-6C0833D9B0EC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nj921

Reaction score
Well that's one way to ruin structure.
It gets better. He didn’t pull a permit, and in the stage of Michigan (probably everywhere else too), a licensed plumber must pull the permit. Now he’s telling me for another $600, he will pull a permit and add nail plates to where he drilled those holes and fire caulk.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can pull a owner builder permit usually and that way wouldn't be paying plumbers time to go. Of course then you would be telling the city you created this work.
I thought most places a homeowner is allowed to do their own work? no problem here surprisingly as California isn't exactly known to be a free state

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You can pull a owner builder permit usually and that way wouldnt be paying plumbers time to go. Of cource then you would be telling the city you created this work.
I thought most places a homeowner is allowed to do thier own work? no problem here suprisingly as California isnt exactly know to be a free state
NYC does not allow anyone to dabble in plumbing unless it is under the direct supervision of a LMP (EMPLOYEE ON THE BOOKS)a home owner cannot do plumbing .electrical etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks