Drain Flange won't seal to bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich06

Reaction score
I noticed a slight water stain in my ceiling just underneath where my upstairs bathtub is located. After close inspection of the tub i noticed that half (left side) of the Drain flange is not sealed directly to the tub. After some testing to rule out possible leak issues the problem seems to be coming from improper seal connecting to the drain flange and tube.

I unscrewed the drain flange and replaced it with a new one. however, upon screwing in the new one, i noticed that it was screwing in crooked and on a angle. The rubber gasket seems to be in good condition. I removed all of the old plumbers putty, cleaned the inside threads of the drain shoe, reapplied new plumbers putty on the drain flange (not threads) and screwed the drain flange back in. It still will not seal properly and is still screwing in crooked. (however, the last time i did it sealed a bit better but still not perfect.)

Does anyone have any ideas of what caused it to screw in properly? It doesn't seem to be cross threaded as it screws in without force, just on a angle.

Is there something wrong with the gasket? does it need to be thicker?

is there an alignment issue with the drain shoe?

Is there anyway i can fix this without cutting a whole in my ceiling?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is an alignment issue with the drain shoe. Normally that means cutting the drywall, cutting out and replacing the shoe. It needs to be glued at the correct angle. Or as a last resort before opening the ceiling, try something else like Silicone. The seal should take place at the rubber washer though, which is clamped between the shoe and the tub. I have not had good luck following others that tried the Silicone.

Rich06

Reaction score
There is an alignment issue with the drain shoe. Normally that means cutting the drywall, cutting out and replacing the shoe. It needs to be glued at the correct angle. Or as a last resort before opening the ceiling, try something else like Silicone. The seal should take place at the rubber washer though, which is clamped between the shoe and the tub. I have not had good luck following others that tried the Silicone.

Im worried that the silicone won't hold up, just as you mentioned the seal should take place at the rubber washer but because the drain flange is screwing in crooked it won't press up against the tub completely only on one side.

Is there a technique to get it to screw in properly? some method i could try?

iI seems like all the drain flange needs is to rotate a few more times and it will seal to the tub.

I know that cutting the ceiling is the best method just hoping for an alternative solution

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's going into plastic, no.
If it's brass, then you may have a chance of twisting it.

The first few I installed were just a bit crooked and leaked. I then started putting the shoe on the tub first, and gluing up the tee afterwards.
Sometimes I fit the overflow and shoe on the tub, glue up the other sections with the tee on the tub, and if I need to, I take it all off, drop the tub, and go back and stick that all on. The main thing is the alignment.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a similar case last month...I ended up cutting the ceiling and replacing the shoe. I used plumber putty, not silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks