Double vanity rough in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by Alexpeter357, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Alexpeter357

Alexpeter357 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to get some advice on a rough in I just did for a double vanity sink. This is my first time and so just wanted to get some advice and input of all you guys. I love the knowledge and experience on this page. Thanks in advance

1442F186-282F-4B5F-A795-E66BBDAE245A.jpeg

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Looks good

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You should have 2" pipe when roughing for two lavs. Each trap arm can be 1.5"
    The vent can also be 1.5"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. Alexpeter357

Alexpeter357 New Member

Thanks for the input Terry! I’m really kicking myself now because I glued everything. Rookie mistake. I’ve gotten mixed opinions, but really trust yours. I’ll have to make some cuts and rework it.

6. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

2" is probably better, but IPC Table 710.1(2) allows 3 DFUs on a 1-1/2" horizontal branch. [Each lav is 1 DFU.] And Michigan appears to be on the IPC.

https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi-plumbing-code-2015/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#table_710.1

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. UPC Table 703.2 allows only 1 DFU on horizontal 1-1/2" pipe, 2 DFUs on vertical, so quite the difference.

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2019/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#table_703.2

7. Alexpeter357

Alexpeter357 New Member

Thanks Wayne, just so I understand completely. As I have it technically “meets code” however best practice would be to have a 2” drain coming down

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could improve that by putting a cleanout above your double santee. That would make for easy rodding down that 1.5 inch if it ever came up.

Depending on how flush with the wall you want, you could use a santee with a cleanout cap. You could use a cleanout fixture, which sticks out less, and there are other choices that stick out under the vanity more.

9. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

I don't have the experience to say whether the performance improvement from upsizing the common drain to 2" would be worth the rework. I think adding a cleanout would be a good idea, and that would be simpler rework.

I trust you're going to repair the stud with the missing segment? Particularly as that stud appears to support your tub surround on the reverse side.

Cheers, Wayne

10. Alexpeter357

Alexpeter357 New Member

Ok thanks for the input! I’m not sure yet what I’m going to do! I’m not psyched about reworking the drain to 2” but seems like from what I’ve read it may be the way to go.
    Oh yes, I fixed that. Builders ran hvac duct through there for a wall register ‍♂️

11. Alexpeter357

Alexpeter357 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the input! Makes total sense

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would not. Adding a cleanout, which you might never need, is much easier.

Alexpeter357 likes this.