Double Kitchen Sink with Floor Drain and Disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

David Ades

Reaction score
We have a double kitchen sink and are replacing the old disposer that quit. The new disposer is "unexpectedly" wider and will make connecting to the floor drain very tight if even possible.
Unfortunately, as you can see these PVC connections are on top of each other so no room for cutting and replacing (if needed I guess I can go down to crawlspace and start from there).
I am wondering if you could help me with:
  1. planning the "correct" drain setup as if there was no problem connecting
  2. If the disposer is too wide and hits into the floor drain where it is are there any options for doing the work at the cabinet level?
    1. Or is it 100% easier to just move the disposer to the left side and call it a day?
Thanks so much for your time.

20210225_212440.jpg
20210225_212528_01.jpg
20210225_212728.jpg
20210225_212801.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would not stack the santees for a kitchen sink. For bathroom sinks, yes.
Moving the disposer to the left solves some issues. All of those fittings are fitted together very tightly making changes difficult.

David Ades

Reaction score
Normally you would not stack the santees for a kitchen sink. For bathroom sinks, yes.
Moving the disposer to the left solves some issues. All of those fittings are fitted together very tightly making changes difficult.
Other than disposer no longer working never had problems... So just swapping disposer and using existing tees, and calling it a day is "ok"?
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks to me as though the trap arm going to the left sink bay is too high to accommodate a disposer.

IF the goal is to move the disposer to the left bay, AND to not have to rework all the PVC piping. I would suggest that a PVC Slip Joint continuous waste be used and a Single trap accept the waste from both bays. Then simply add a cleanout body to the top tee / trap arm.

And that's a pretty expensive Kohler Karbon faucet sitting in the cabinet.. Whats the deal with that one?

David Ades

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses and feedback. Good news, is I was able to squeeze the new disposer in with about 1/4" clearance once I trimmed the screw joints for the existing connections. So, sticking with the wierd 2 level connections until something goes wrong and will fix at that point.

The joints on the Karbon started to loosen and Kohler had updated the joints and couldn't send me repair kit, so they sent me a replacement faucet. That's the old,...now why I haven't gotten rid of? No idea...I'd bet I planned someday to take apart and see what I could repair.
Have a good weekend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks