Don't use paper backed wallboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just saw an ad for DensArmor Plus® Interior Wallboard that is being sold by Lowes.
So are they saying it's a "Deal Breaker" if you remodeled with their paper backed wall board?

"The moisture-resistant fiberglass mats make DensArmor Plus panels the ideal replacement for paper faced greenboard, where greenboard is still allowed by code."

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4659

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Greenboard it notorious for wavey, sagging ceilings where installed and I know some contractors who refuse to use it on ceilings.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Greenboard is moisture resistant, but still is mold food. National codes no longer spec it. Regular drywall in dry areas, and CBU in wet areas are the preferred products. The real key in a damp area is climate control, most notable in proper ventillation. Good paint or wall covering is also required. Gypsum still isn't the greatest thing if it does get soaked repeatedly.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Problem with their fiberglass mat is, you then have to skim-coat the wall.

Still, not bad for things like "flood-proof" basement renovations & such...

For bathrooms, the purple board's a bit better than the old green (or regular, for that matter).

But like jadnashua said, CBU for any wet areas. Gypsum doesn't like wet, even if it's paperless...

You can still get greenboard? Only the purple's around, here; I thought they'd stopped making the green...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks