Does my PRV setup need a backflow preventer?

Users who are viewing this thread

TCP

Reaction score
Hey looking to install a PRV in my home but not sure if I need a backflow preventer. I get around 80-90 psi street pressure coming into the home. Looking to put in a PRV and drop it to around 50-60psi. However, when the sprinklers go off it drops to around 60psi coming into the house (had a gauge on a hose bib). So if I set the PRV at 50 lets say would I need to the BFP? Basically my question is if the house pressure is 10psi or less, greater than line pressure when the sprinklers are running will the BFP be necessary? I have a BFP on the sprinkler side but thats a separate branch off the main. Right now my expansion from my hot water heater goes back to the street but I did install an expansion tank when I put in my new hw heater for this future install. Looking to put in a Watts 25aub-z3 PRV.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code still requires the backflow preventer on your sprinkler system. Some people tap off for that prior to the PRV to provide maximum pressure to the sprinklers. Adding a PRV does entail adding an expansion tank in the house as well.

TCP

Reaction score
Yes I have the expansion tank already installed. So will I need a BFP for the house domestic line with the PRV?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks