does anyone make "bubble" shower doors?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bilojax, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. bilojax

    bilojax New Member

    Jul 31, 2006
    My bathtub has a shower stall conversion (sliding doors attached to tub rim) which I like fine, except that it is just a little bit too narrow for me when I am in it taking a shower. I rent the house I live in so my options are limited. However, I'd be willing to pay $100 or so to buy new doors to fit in the existing frame if the new doors would provide a few inches more width in the center of the shower. I've never seen such in stores but I can easily envision what I want - instead of flat glass, the doors would have a bulge outward, or "bubble", of a few inches. I realize this would prevent the doors from opening flush with each other, but the offset should be no more than an inch or two, it seems, and I estimate I have at least 3 inches to spare in this regard. And the doors don't have to be made of real glass if that is a problem, plexiglas would be fine.

    Has anyone seen something like this?
  2. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    I have never seen anything like that and would guess if you could have it made it would cost well over $2000.00 to have one hand made.

    It might cost less to have a 36" tub and regular doors installed.

    Maybe someone has seen what your looking for.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Cookie

    Cookie .

    Oct 7, 2005
    I am not a plumber, but, this might help. Bed, Bath and Beyond, sells a shower rod which extends out in a U shape. The shower curtain would hang out extended yet, be in the tub. I wonder, if this might give you the extra few inches you need, all you would have to do is not close the door you got there and hang the curtain plus, the rod. Or maybe, take the doors off, if ok with your landlord.

    I hope this might help. If it does, it is a cheap fix, too.
  5. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    I agree with Cookie...taking the doors off is usually fairly easy. The top rail is usually just sitting on the end supports. Store that away, put up a curved curtain rod, and before you leave, put the old doors and top rail back on.
Similar Threads: does anyone
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Does anyone recognize this shower door pivot hardware? Mar 24, 2015
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Does anyone know what brand of shower faucet this is? Sep 29, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog does anyone know this shower valve? Jan 1, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Kohler Cartridge 73923-aa For Shower Faucet. Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This? Oct 8, 2012
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Does anyone recognize these shower handles? Jul 17, 2012

Share This Page