Do you guys caulk lead vent pipes????

Users who are viewing this thread

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Tested my system this afternoon and 2 things leaked. The lead vents pipes that cover the ABS sticking six inches through my roof and most of my cleanouts. Back to the lead vents, I previously hammered them over the ABS and they worked fine. It was the water from filling my system up that went underneth the leadvents . I was thinking about applying silicone from the ABS to the lead. I think it will adhear, but not sure. Just would like some tried and trued advice.
About the cleanouts, does rectorseal make an ABS product? I assume some type of pipe dope will solve the issue. I wrapped all the cleanouts with teflon tape and tightened the bejesus out of them and the still dripped.
Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I wrapped all the cleanouts with teflon tape and tightened the bejesus out of them and the still dripped.
Thanks in advance.

It is never appropriate to tighten the bejesus out of any plastic fittngs. The plastic distorts, and this is often the cause of a leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

The flashings worked just like all of them do. Normally water does not rise in the pipe so it overflows, therefore NO ONE caulks them. A thick plastic compatible joint compound usually works, but for the stubborn ones, I clamp a rubber test cap around the fitting and over the plug.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Did I really cause myself alot of grief by overtightening the ABS? I hope not. What can I do now..... I thought it was the lack of some type of pipe dope.....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Some pipe dopes react with plastic. Make sure the dope you used is okay for plastic.

DuWayne

Reaction score
Don't Caulk the Boot

Speaking as a very experienced roofer, turned handyman - caulking the boot to the pipe is a bad idea. It is a very good way to end up with damaged plumbing in the event that the roof is torn off.

I realize by the fact that you're using lead boots that you have a high-end, very long life roof. Please do not assume that because you have this roof that you simply won't have to pull that up. Mistakes can be made and materials can fail.

There is absolutely no reason to caulk it. If your drains ever backed up that far, you are going to be dealing with far worse problems than the water trickling over the side. This is very much a case of less is more.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
I used common sense and filled the drain 1 inch below the ABS at the top of my roof. Therefore water did not penentrate between tha top of the ABS and the lead vent.
Thanks for the heads up though. As a added bonus, the pipedope sealed all my cleanouts.
Relief.....
thanks again everyone

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a flat roof? I can think of no other sensible reason to use lead flashings.

And did you allow for expansion and contraction of the plastic pipe? You do know that can be a problem, right? If there's no room to expand in the turned-over lip on the lead, it will break a plastic fitting in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks