How to move ABS vent pipe over within a stud bay

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnoone

Reaction score
For annoying reasons I need to move an ABS pipe over in a stud bay. It is in the way of where I need to put some blocking for bathroom fixtures. You can see my attempt at putting in blocking (which shows height for blocking) but I'm giving up and I just need to move the ABS pipe to the left side of the stud bay, so over about 3 inches.

My current thought is to do this with 4 45s to offset the vent pipe over and back. The only issue is that the pipe is quite rigidly mounted both above and below this floor so I cannot move it up enough to get a coupling in there to rejoin it. What is the proper solution here? I'm thinking a shielded neoprene coupling? If this was done in copper I'd use a straight coupling without a stop - but I don't think there is an equivalent for ABS since I think ABS fittings have a sort of slope to them?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230110_174840709.jpg
    PXL_20230110_174840709.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20230110_174857776.jpg
    PXL_20230110_174857776.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20230110_174857776_artwork.jpg
    PXL_20230110_174857776_artwork.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 107

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are repair couplings for abs that will slide back and fourth, but only when there is wet glue on them. Meaning you have to cement them into place while sliding them up and then back down. It's a bummer. I try to use no hub couplings when I can.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For annoying reasons I need to move an ABS pipe over in a stud bay. It is in the way of where I need to put some blocking for bathroom fixtures. You can see my attempt at putting in blocking (which shows height for blocking)
Have you considered taking what you show in the picture and adding a metal plate across the gap, screwed to the stubs of wood blocking on each side of the pipe? That should stiffen up the wood blocking considerably and also protect the pipe.

Of course, if you need to mount something directly in front of the vent pipe, that won't work.

I would think that at mid stud bay height as shown, the ABS would be flexible enough that you could shove it back 1/2" or more, which might let you fit a 1x across the bay in front of the pipe. Again, if you want mount something directly in front of the pipe, you might want to put a metal plate on the backside of the 1x to protect the pipe while still providing 3/4" of material to screw into.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks