Do we need a new sewer cleanout cap?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
We recently purchased a home where the sewer cleanout has a cap that looks like black plastic and it is not a solid cover but is slotted so rain or dirt and who knows what else could get in there. I noticed on walks around my neighborhood everyone else has solid metal-looking caps (our caps are all in the front yards). For what purpose would our house have a slotted cap and should this be changed? I think our home inspector told us it was illegal to have a slotted cap. Is it hard to remove this cap and where do we buy a new cap? Should we have our main sewer line snaked in case the slots let all kinds of dirt and sediment into our line?

Prashster

Reaction score
If you haven't had drainage problems, then (if it were me) I wouldn't pay to have it snaked. I would, however, confirm that you are indeed looking at your cleanout before you replace the cap.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sure your not looking a t an area drain that goes to a drainage ditch or storm sewer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks