Do I need to replace my dip tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

kilo138

Reaction score
So I've done a bit of work on my water heater lines-

-Replaced a saddle valve with an angle stop for my humidifier feed and switched it to the hot supply instead of the cold
-Hot showers then started getting shorter. I would have to turn the valve full hot for it to be somewhat consistent during showers
-I initially believed the humidifier was using all the hot water so I added the humidifier feed back to the cold supply
-Hot water is still running out too quickly- around 3-4 minutes. I can confirm no other sources are using the hot water when this happens.

I'm guessing the work I did on the water heater lines may have compromised the dip tube in the process. There was no way the humidifier feed is emptying the tank.

Is the dip tube the culprit? I'd rather not go through the effort to dive into this if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Reach4

Reaction score
Electric or gas WH? If electric, your lower element may have failed.

IndMale

Reaction score
I am having pretty close to the same problem I have an AO Smith 50 gal Electric water heater I was starting to run out of hot water pretty quick so I replaced both Upper and Lower Heating Elements I now am getting Good Hot water for about 4 mins then it turns to warm Water> I am thinking that the dip tube has gone bad in some. I am thinking that the Hot water is coming off the top of the Heater and then the new cold water is coming in and mixing in with the hot water making it warm before it has time to go all the way to bottom of tank and start a regular heat up system. Am I thinking right? time to replace the dip tube?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am having pretty close to the same problem I have an AO Smith 50 gal Electric water heater I was starting to run out of hot water pretty quick so I replaced both Upper and Lower Heating Elements I now am getting Good Hot water for about 4 mins then it turns to warm Water> I am thinking that the dip tube has gone bad in some. I am thinking that the Hot water is coming off the top of the Heater and then the new cold water is coming in and mixing in with the hot water making it warm before it has time to go all the way to bottom of tank and start a regular heat up system. Am I thinking right? time to replace the dip tube?
Do you have a recirc line?

Reach4

Reaction score
A bad thermostat could keep the lower heating element from turning on, so that is another way to cause you to run out of hot water sooner. You could check that power is making it to the lower element.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks