Do I have a water heater problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Funk

Reaction score
My wife has been complaining that our gas water heater, 50 or 60 gallons, does not give us enough hot water for long showers. So yesterday I tested it by showering in our tub shower with the drain closed. After 10 gallons app., I needed to start adjusting the knob to hotter. After 25 gallons, it was on full hot. Around 30 gallons, it hit the overflow drain, ending the test, and the water was on the warm side of lukewarm. Is this entirely due to normal hot/cold mixing as the tank is drained, or is there a problem with the water heater? I don't know how old it is. Incidentally, the fixtures have been liming up in the past year or two. I have had to replace valve stems on this shower and two sinks.

Stephen Funk

Reaction score
Is this an electric or a gas tank.
How old is the tank?
Gas. Natural gas. Don't know how old. We've had house 4.5 yr. Previous owner left us a generic manual with the notation, "water heater, no date.". Nothing written on warranty sticker on heater.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The serial number for the water heater will date it. Take a picture of the number, or write it down, and the Internet will help you find the year. Each manufacturer has their own method of dating, either numbers or letter.

A failed dip tub can reduce the amount of hot water, as it mixes too high in the tank.
Or you can have a tank that is filling with lime reducing the volume.

Reach4

Reaction score
The serial number may serve as a date code, or there could be a separate date code. Post the brand and date code or serial number if there is no explicit date code.​

Stephen Funk

Reaction score
There is a number on the control.
Robertshaw
R110RTSP. 66-136-308
AP855B-14

can't see anything on the body of heater. Will I have to unfasten the earthquake bracing and insulation blanket?

Stephen Funk

Reaction score
Got it. Nov. 96. Do you think it worth trying a new dip tube, 6.95 at Lowes, or just have a new one put in?
There is a number on the control.
Robertshaw
R110RTSP. 66-136-308
AP855B-14

can't see anything on the body of heater. Will I have to unfasten the earthquake bracing and insulation blanket?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A 23-4 year old heater is about 10 years overdue, problem is with the current lockdown can you get a replacement and installed?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Time to get a replacement wtr/htr, your problem is one or all of the above, on a gas wtr/htr you only get 70% of the storage before the incoming
cold water starts to temper it down

Stephen Funk

Reaction score
Thanks. I see that in Sacramento County we are supposed to put in an Ultra Low Nox water heater. Do these have performance or reliability issues?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
NO more then other brands or models,
Plumbing has been Ruled a Essential service, therefore you should have no problem getting your wtr/htr replaced

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks