Do Anode Changes Extend Heater Life?

Users who are viewing this thread

KC27

Reaction score
Is an replaceable anode rod a "must have" feature when selecting a water heater? I was comparing 50 gallon direct vent natural gas water heaters, and read that on a particular Rheem water heater, the anode is not replaceable. Is that something I should care about? A friend advised me to forget about changing anodes, just plan on replacing the water heater every 7 to 10 years. What do you think?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am going to take a guess that 95% of home water heaters never have the anode replaced. Anybody else have an estimate? There are some that have the fairly new anode pulled, and replaced with a brass plug. Some deal with H2S smell on the hot water that way.

I suspect your friend either doesn't use Lake Michigan water, or your friend is a pessimist. But your friend's suggestion is the common practice by far.

KC27

Reaction score
I did not change the anode, and now I am looking to replace my 7 year old Bradford White heater (leaking at the bottom). I did flush the heater regularly. Seven years seems kind of early to be replacing a heater. That's why I wondering if anode changes add much to heater longevity.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the tank has an anode rod at all, if you don't try to remove it then replace it using tape to seal before you install it, you may never get the rod out. If you wait too long, and the existing anode is essentially gone, the tank will have started to degrade and, since they tend to overtorque the things at the factory, you will have trouble getting even a new one out. The rod is screwed in after the glass lining was added, and that tends to break it right there. Removing the anode later could crack a bit more. The sacrificial anode action is not 100%, but it's better than nothing. People seem to find that the gas valve may need replacement eventually, and while that can be replaced, at that point, it's not known how long the tank will last after it, so you may not get much use out of it.

So, unless the tank is made out of something like SS, or some are made of a polymer that don't rust, they've all got one in there. Some make it easier to replace than others.

How long the tank lasts is probably influenced more from the luck of the draw than the overall design. On some brands, the warranty on the same tank can be extended simply by paying a bit more - it's the same tank. On the higher end ones, sometimes, they'll add a second anode rod so it won't be eaten up as quickly, and maybe change the drain valve to one made of brass rather than plastic.

BUt, your use and water to include temperature and chemistry is also a factor. Super cold inlet water and a higher tank storage setting will make the stress on the lining rougher as things expand and contract. There's a limit on flexibility of the thing and more thermal stress can act like you bending a steel coat hanger back and forth until it breaks.

If you decide to do it, do it on a regular time interval and loosen the anode rod before you install it the first time so you have a better chance of getting it out to replace.

Draining the tank probably doesn't influence the longevity of it. Accumulating mineral deposits can limit the heat transfer and volume, and draining may not help unless you can poke at it to loosen the mineral deposits up. A water softener can help the longevity if you have hard water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not change the anode, and now I am looking to replace my 7 year old Bradford White heater (leaking at the bottom). I did flush the heater regularly. Seven years seems kind of early to be replacing a heater. That's why I wondering if anode changes add much to heater longevity.
Do you have a softener? I think hardness may help protect from leaks, especially in the first year. So with a softener, all the more reason to change anodes.

Anyway, I would change anodes. Getting one loose that has been in place for many years may call for a 3/4 or bigger impact wrench. A breaker bar may do it for a new tank. They put those things in with a lot more torque than they should.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you're not careful, trying to loosen the thing will try to torque off the water and flue connections! An impact wrench has a chance.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

The bradford white brand has the anode rod connected to the hot side nipple going into the water heater
you just take out the nipple and rod at the same time and replace it.... a common wrench will work

We have moved away from the bradfords because they dont seem to last long if their is a water softener installed in
the system......I have personally changed out probably a 100 of them still under warranty from 2011 through 2017 due
to this quirk with this brand.... all of the about 5 1/2 years old and all with a water softener in the home

The sodium in the soft water seems to eat this brand alive from within.... they have a thin glass coating.

If you have a water softener, then you need to find another brand like Rheem that seems to handle the corrosion
from the sodium lots better.....

also if you have high water pressure in the house a thermal expansion tank and a
pressure reducing valve is wise to do....

other issues can also contribute to the death of a water heater like poor electrical grounding in the home
if the house has a poor ground at the electrical box or a plastic incoming water supply the ground in the home
is sub standard and that contributes to the heater dieing a fast death.....

you guys dont know what you are talking about... but its ok

KC27

Reaction score
Thanks for help, everyone.

I do not have a water softener. Incoming water can be 40 degrees or lower in the dead of winter, and I heat the water to 140 F. I have never measured my water pressure. What PSI is considered high water pressure?

Maybe water heater longevity is a luck of the draw. We have been in this house 24 years. Including the water heater that was in the house when we moved in, this new heater will be heater number four for us. A homeowner down the street, on the same city water as me, recently replaced a still working, over 20 year old water heater. They never did any water heater maintenance.

I will get the AO Smith. It will give me the option of replacing the anode. Other than loosening when new, I guess I won't have to worry about the anode for three years.

Last edited:

Niccolo

Reaction score

The bradford white brand has the anode rod connected to the hot side nipple going into the water heater
you just take out the nipple and rod at the same time and replace it.... a common wrench will work

We have moved away from the bradfords because they dont seem to last long if their is a water softener installed in
the system......I have personally changed out probably a 100 of them still under warranty from 2011 through 2017 due
to this quirk with this brand.... all of the about 5 1/2 years old and all with a water softener in the home

The sodium in the soft water seems to eat this brand alive from within.... they have a thin glass coating.

If you have a water softener, then you need to find another brand like Rheem that seems to handle the corrosion
from the sodium lots better.....

also if you have high water pressure in the house a thermal expansion tank and a
pressure reducing valve is wise to do....

other issues can also contribute to the death of a water heater like poor electrical grounding in the home
if the house has a poor ground at the electrical box or a plastic incoming water supply the ground in the home
is sub standard and that contributes to the heater dieing a fast death.....

you guys dont know what you are talking about... but its ok

I was under the impression a big reason to get a water softener was to protect the water heater, interesting that you're anecdotally reporting the opposite, and that you're seeing issues specifically with Bradford Whites.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was under the impression a big reason to get a water softener was to protect the water heater, interesting that you're anecdotally reporting the opposite, and that you're seeing issues specifically with Bradford Whites.
Hardness material builds up in the WH. It insulates the heat from the gas from heating the water. A softener stops those deposits. That makes the WH more efficient -- less heat up the chimney and more into the water.

But as far as longevity of the waterheater from leaking due to internal corrosion, the softener is a negative. The hardness deposits can protect the WH somewhat. That makes a working anode more important with a softener I think.

KC27

Reaction score
I did not change the anode, and now I am looking to replace my 7 year old Bradford White heater (leaking at the bottom).

Did you pull the anode to see if it was depleted? My guess is no for both.

I will pull the anode when I remove the heater. Not sure what you meant about "no for both".

Reach4

Reaction score
I will pull the anode when I remove the heater. Not sure what you meant about "no for both".
both pull and inspect.

I would be very surprised if the old anode is not depleted. Note that white deposits don't mean not depleted.

I would also be surprised if you get the old anode out without an impact wrench.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
both pull and inspect.

I would be very surprised if the old anode is not depleted. Note that white deposits don't mean not depleted.

I would also be surprised if you get the old anode out without an impact wrench.

Who gives a shit.... unless you just dont have anything better to do.....
the dam thing is leaking....just install a new unit and do whatever you feel is
best to make the heater last longer.....

consider a prv valve, thermal exp tank,
and better grounding----(grounding is the secret ingredient )

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Maybe water heater longevity is a luck of the draw."
- True.
"We have been in this house 24 years. Including the water heater that was in the house when we moved in, this new heater will be heater number four for us. A homeowner down the street, on the same city water as me, recently replaced a still working, over 20 year old water heater. They never did any water heater maintenance."
- You seem to be a bit unlucky. Can you ask your neighbor what brand was his 20 y.o WH?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The size of the family, and the amount of loads of laundry and the length of the shower will somewhat make a difference in the longevity of your WH. Fill a big soaking tube daily, that could make a difference, too, in addition to the other items listed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks