DIY NG Gas water heater install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Danno408

Reaction score
Hello - I am looking to replace a 20 year old 40 gal natural gas water heater with a new AO Smith 50 gal natural gas water heater. My old unit is 58 inches tall and the new one is 61 not counting the 18" base it is sitting on. I noticed that with the increased height the supply lines will be at the same height as the top of the new 61" unit. My question is if there is any way to avoid moving the supply lines farther up the wall to make the new unit fit? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
You might post a side or angled view of the area showing the top of the WH and the current supply lines.

Corrugated copper or stainless supply lines made for feeding water heaters. are nice and allow some leeway.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You post it is on a stand if that is because it is in a garage check with AHJ, code you "may" be able to sit it on the garage floor
because new water heaters now have "FIP"

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pic/diagram will help to see your situation and make a recommendations.

Usually pipe modifications are required when you bring in a bigger/taller or vise versa water heater.
Around here we use flex supply connectors and in many cases no modifications are needed.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The bigger problem we sometimes run into wih the taller water heater is that the flue will no longer have enough pitch to vent the exhaust gas without modification to the chimney. Sometimes we have to get a lowboy heater to circumvent the problem.

Danno408

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't consider the potential changes to the vent chimney, I just assumed that I would need to shorten the existing vent pipe by the extra 3 inches. I do like the idea of cutting the supply lines at the wall and using the elbows to flex the lines in a U shape. That will give me the extra room to connect to the top. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks