Distance from stud to bathtub rain

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshp58

Reaction score
I've read that the drain needso to 1.5in from the stud the bathtub sits against. Is that a maximum, minimum, or is that exact? I'm wanting to put the drain/vent pipe further back at about 3.5-4 inches. I am planning on framing a second "wall" against the old existing wall to fit the main stack going up to the roof but that would leave a few inches of horizontal run from the tub to its drain. Is this OK to do or do I need to frame up the new studs and keep it at 1.5 inches exactly?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are talking about a standard 60" x 30" tub with a drain on one end, then the vertical from the p-trap is normally 14-1/2" from the long wall and almost touching the end wall.
From the vetical on the tub drain, you need to add a p-trap, and that p-trap needs to be vented to prevent siphoning. You can go up to 42" on a 1.5" trap arm to the vent. How you do that and connect to the other plumbing often depends on what the fittings allow and the framing that is there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks