Dented pressure tank. Use it or swap for another?

Users who are viewing this thread

JDmich

Reaction score
Ordered a well X trol tank online from a supplyhouse. Upon delivery noticed 2 dents. One about 2 in in diameter but not very deep. The other is even smaller. Both are on the top corner.

Anybody out there have any wisdom or advice on whether a dent makes a difference on long-term performance or durability of the tank? the only reason I paid double in the first place was because the well X trol is supposed to last so long...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 20190510_212728.jpg
    20190510_212728.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 410
  • 20190510_214238.jpg
    20190510_214238.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 344

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sometimes just pressuring it up will pop the dents back out. Other than damaging the paint inside and out, causing it to rust quicker, there shouldn't be a problem. Tanks rarely rust out before the diaphragm breaks anyway. The number of on/off cycles is what causes a tank bladder to fail, not rust.

Midriller

Reaction score
Its on the air side, don't worry about it. If it was on the water side or near the crimp ring, you will be fine......plus you have 7 years to figure out that i'm wrong..... then you get a free tank.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I’d call and tell them. Tell them you’re willing to keep it but just want it reported and documented just in case something related to the dents cause it to go bad. Or you could say “I’ll keep it if you send me $50. Otherwise, send me a new one and free shipping on the new one and the dented one to go back.”

JDmich

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I called the supply house and they offered me $50 or free return shipping to exchange. Sounds like either way I'm fine and was just over analyzing the situation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks