Delta Tub Spout Diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Shubox56

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have the o-ring type diverter that has a set screw, are the replacement diverters of the same type pretty much all universal? I have a 24 year old Pfister shower diverter currently.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hardware stores carry the newer RP5834 that will come with an adapter.

rp5834-terrylove-5.jpg

rp5834-terrylove-4.jpg

Ready to spin on.

rp5834-terrylove-3.jpg

This one is soldered on. You can rob the O-Ring from the package.

Shubox56

Reaction score
I just pulled it. It's a slip on spout with an Allen head set screw at the bottom. Looks like everyone makes this style of spout diverter. Looking at an American Standard online.

After cleaning the 2.25" copper pipe (from tile) and slipping it on (and tighten), should I caulk around the top and sides? And should I use a little lubricant on the o-ring? I might have some petroleum jelly around somewhere, otherwise I have pure coconut oil which is quite slippery.

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

Shubox56

Reaction score
I got the A/S slip on diverter spout which seated nicely against the tile. I secured the set screw and started filling the tub. At this point it worked as expected with zero leaks against the wall. Then I pulled the divert lever everything initially looked good. Seconds later I noticed a small amount of water was still streaming from the tub spot and also at the rear slot where the set screw is located. I removed the spout for inspection and saw nothing unusual. The copper pipe was dry, no issue with the o-ring seal. So it's leaking up front. Lemon? Any trick to get the front to seal completely when the diverter lever is pulled up?

Reach4

Reaction score
So it's leaking up front. Lemon? Any trick to get the front to seal completely when the diverter lever is pulled up?
They are all going to dribble some. It may be required.

However the Deltas dribble less than most.

Shubox56

Reaction score
They are all going to dribble some. It may be required.

However the Deltas dribble less than most.
I agree with that, but the seal up front shouldn't allow water to flow inside the spout to stream out the slot at the rear.

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with that, but the seal up front shouldn't allow water to flow inside the spout to stream out the slot at the rear.
You didn't say that, but yes, the dribbling should be from the spout, and not elsewhere. I don't know how your spout is constructed, but I would wonder what the "seal up front" is.

Shubox56

Reaction score
You didn't say that, but yes, the dribbling should be from the spout, and not elsewhere. I don't know how your spout is constructed, but I would wonder what the "seal up front" is.

Okay, this is why I shouldn't start a project in the evening after a tough day at work. This morning with fresh eyes I took a second look at the copper pipe and did find a very small hard-water deposit on the underside that I initially missed. The leak was indeed around the rear o-ring. I reinstalled the spout, but there's a 16th inch gap between the tile and the back of the spout, but since it's not leaking, I'm hesitant to change what isn't broke. I think I'm going to add a bead of silicone to seal the 16th inch gap and call it a day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks