Delta R10000 in/out pipe sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

LadyMarq

Reaction score
Hi, I've searched & read various discussions with flow rates of various roughs, charts of PEX vs copper flows etc but not sure seen anyone specifically address pipe sizing differences in vs the outs.

Main feed in from my gravity spring fed system is 1" converting to 3/4" PEX & then tee appropriate sizing to individual fixtures (1/2 except for any tubs/showers, roman tub was planning use 3/4). I have delta 17T trims/cartridges which have higher flow. No stops in rough. Not sure how plays into it all but my basic gravity flow water pressure is about 27- 30. I might end up using a booster pump but that is situation at this time.

I have option using R10000UNBX or R10000PX. The px of course uses 1/2" PEX feeds which is so small & seems bottle neck ability flow obtained by trim. The shower & tub ports all support 1/2" copper so my thoughts were to use 3/4 PEX feeds which is closer but higher than the 1/2" copper size/flow. My stud bay (no option come in from either side of that bay) is 16oc so only about 14" work with. Once put the threaded adapter 1/2" fnpt to 3/4" PEX I can not get the 3/4" PEX with bend supports to fit inside the stud bay. So, seems like might be forced back to using the 1/2" PEX rough which just fits. So here are my questions.

With 1/2" PEX in how does that provide enough water flow to feed what is 1/2" copper size (thinking 3/4" PEX possible for riser & drop with appropriate drop ear elbows attach spout & shower head). Flow volume in so much less than what piping allows going up/down. The rough & cartridge also allow for much higher flow than the 1/2" PEX provides. I can handle lower flow to shower but don't want take long time fill high volume tub

Thinking out of the box a bit. Are there elbows that could screw onto the rough in 1/2" FIP to 3/4" PEX? I haven't found such except drop ears which I have on hand. So other questions? Would such an elbow 90 be to restrictive right next to the valve? If not, can ears be ground down enabling to use as a elbow? I have drop ears that fit but the ears won't allow proper placement.

Due to joist directly under the stud bay I will be bringing water up through floor under tub & shifting it into the wall cavity. If use copper supply in would have additional elbows further restrictions/complications in routing.

Might have just come up with a viable solution... Guess could come out with a 3/4" PEX adapter which I have, stub of 3/4 & add a 90 elbow PEX to PEX to drop it down. Was hoping avoid adding more joints inside cavity though. Fortunately, do have full length access panel to everything from back plus this over unfinished basement & clamp ring tools fit tighter locations should a fix be necessary.

There probably more options but right now (for my abilities & unavailability plumbers) it seems using modified drop ear elbow or adapter to PEX stub & elbow my best choices. Plus benefit of easier fixes should leaks develop especially if I sweat copper.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, additional options that I'm missing. Maybe 3/4 not going to add any benefit overall but it seems logical to me based on calculations. However, theory often not same as real life.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
shower-mardini-04.jpg

Why can't you use copper from the valve and then go to PEX, either 1/2" or 3/4" at that point.

r10000-un.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

LadyMarq

Reaction score
Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. That is a combination hadn't seen before. I could just don't have experience soldering so really nervous about that especially at the valve itself. Are the copper fittings threaded (screw onto the valve) and sweat the other end any good? That would keep me from difficulties at the valve as understand the lead free stuff takes a bit more care & attention get all right temperature.

Just curious, how does one fix the copper at or near the valve if it springs a leak later after everything is all set & tiled in? The way things work in this house is everything tests fine & then something happens after no longer have easy access. I like to know how to make fixes easier down the road & if using another method that is more user friendly for us not pro with the torch then that route take unless it causes more problems than it resolves. That is why was trying stick with PEX.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Delta have valve bodies that allow you to sweat or to use fittings on them. The one above has male threads and you can solder to it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The universal valve body allows you to solder a pipe to the inside, or screw a fitting onto the outside

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks