Decorative Tiles on Shower Ceiling?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tmy23, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tmy23

tmy23 New Member

Thanks in advance for any help and shared wisdom. I am building a tile shower, was planning on tiling the shower ceiling, but have a question for an alternative. We live in an old victorian. the Kitchen has a "tin look" patterned ceiling. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar look on a shower ceiling? The ceiling is already framed and green-boarded. I was looking online and saw both aluminum and PVC tiles that look pretty authentic, they go up with urethane adhesive. Seems a no brainer, which is why I am writing, I'm clearly not thinking of something. :):)

thanks!!

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Looking at it from an electrical fixture point of view, code says anything 8' or above, you don't need anything special on the ceiling of a shower to install a light fixture. Painted drywall often lasts eons there as long as you're not dealing with a steam shower or the door doesn't go all the way to the ceiling to trap moisture in. So, given that, you can probably do about anything you want to the ceiling with a covering. I would not use 'real' tin, as it is often tin-plated steel, and the plating is never perfect...it may take awhile, but I think it will end up rusting. Aluminum might end up pitting, but should last longer. PVC or vinyl should last a very long time. Or, you could tile it...it gets messy spreading thinset over your head, and especially when it comes time to grout it, but it works, too. As long as your thinset is mixed properly and you don't let it skin over, the suction will hold a quite substantial tile on the ceiling while the mortar cures.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. lanachurner

lanachurner Member

It partly depends on how high the ceiling is. If 8' or more I would just prime and paint the ceiling. Or, tile it.
    The humidity in a shower is very high. It can and will penetrate under the ceiling panels and eventually cause mold issues and possible delamination. If you tile the ceiling keep in mind that a dark tile will cause the ceiling to seem low. A light tile will give a sense of greater height. Don't forget to add a bath fan.

5. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

It's rather strange to have a ceiling tiled, what you can do is use good "shower paint".

Benjamin Moore Aqua Bath and Spa paint, is anti-mold anti-mildew, and self-priming.

I painted a fanless bathroom and the shower ceiling with that, 2 years later still no mold, and white as the day I did the job.

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FWIW, any steam shower would have a tiled ceiling...it's a pain tiling a ceiling, but it provides a certain look...if you want it, it may be worth the effort. If you don't do this on a regular basis, you'll find muscles you didn't know you had. It will also take you longer than you think.