Cycle Stop VS constant pressure system

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMane

Reaction score
In terms of small tank systems....what is difference between Cycle Stop VS constant pressure system with a 3 phase motor and a VFD?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Cycle Stop Valve is a mechanical way to get constant pressure while the VFD is a computerized electronic control. The simplicity of the CSV will make your pump system last several times longer than normal and save you a lot of money over the years. The complexity of the VFD will cause you to replace expensive electronic controls and motors, costing you a lot more as time goes by. I made a chart using cost and energy use covering initial costs and cost of replacement components. Constant pressure is a good thing. How you get it determines how dependable it is and how much it cost.

Slide1.JPG

BobMane

Reaction score
I have a great working system (86 gal pressure tank - well log 100 gpm - strong flow - dont know pump spec but could be 1.5) how do i know which csv system to get? It is just for residential use.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We make Cycle Stop Valves for any size pump. 1.5HP is a good start. Do you know the gallons per minute, pump setting depth, or pump model number? I am guessing from the 86 gallon tank which holds about 20 gallons of water that you have a 20 GPM pump or so. If that is the case I would recommend the CSV1A. It will work fine with a big 86 gallon size tank, but if the tank is bad you can get the CSV1A in the PK1A kit using a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank, which is really all you need when you have a CSV.

BobMane

Reaction score
"Do you know the gallons per minute, pump setting depth, or pump model number? I am guessing from the 86 gallon tank which holds about 20 gallons of water that you have a 20 GPM pump or so."
we used 86 gal because that is what I had on hand but the tech who installed it said it was fine. We also dont know the size of the pump because it was not pulled. but i do have a water worker 86 gallon and it is 1-1/4” pipe. the flow rate is strong. The tank is not bad but I need to space in my utility room is the main reason for switching to CSV. Well was drilled in 2008 and pump installed then but sat unused till I bought the property. I attached the well report if that helps.

"the PK1A kit using a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank, which is really all you need when you have a CSV." If 86 only holds 20 then how much do these hold?

report.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"the PK1A kit using a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank, which is really all you need when you have a CSV." If 86 only holds 20 then how much do these hold?

Lol! any pressure tank does good to hold 25% water, as 75% air is needed to push out the water. So, a 4.5 only holds 1 gallon. a 10 gallon tank only holds 2.2 gallons, and an 86 gallon size tank only holds 20 gallons of water. However, you water doesn't come from the tank, it comes from the pump in your 100 GPM well with a static of 155' (yes that helped). All a tank is for is to reduce the 40/60, on/off, cycling of the pump to deliver however much water you need, because a tank doesn't hold much water.

When you have a Cycle Stop Valve to reduce or in some cases eliminate the cycling, water goes right past the tank making the tank, or at least its size, almost a moot point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks