Cycle Stop Valve (CSV) and Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I have been trying to dial in the water system of my home since I moved in 3 years ago. Initially when I moved in the air pressure in the tank was very low (like 20psi) due to a loose valve. I noticed it because the pump ran continuously while the water was on. I have since fixed that issue.

Currently the one thing that makes me nuts is the water hammer when the pump shuts off.

I have a 1.5hp Jet Pump in a closed well ( no casing, just a galvanized pipe in the ground) with a bronze Check Valve. This goes to a 20 gallon Pressure tank.
The pump usually only runs about 10-15 seconds to fill the Pressure tank to 60 psi. Under typical usage it takes about a minute to get to 40 psi before the pump turns on again..

After reading about the CSV I am intrigued. I want to get more info. I was looking at this kit since I already have the pressure tank.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/products/pk1a-lt-constant-pressure-kit-less-pressure-tank

What brand do you all recommend? And what are your experiences.

If the pump is running more then wont my electric bill go up as a result? 15 seconds vs 2 minutes seems like a lot.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First off, only running 15 seconds is killing your pump/motor. It needs to run a minimum of 1 minute, 2 minutes is better, and never turning off when using water is best, regardless of how much electricity is being used. Starting a pump takes 6-9 times more energy than running, so letting it run can even reduce the electric bill compared to multiple starts. A house water pump electric bill is only about 5 bucks a month anyway. If running the pump longer increases that by a buck or two, it is way more than offset in making the pump and everything last longer.

The water hammer on pump stop is caused by the check valve sticking. Replacing the check valve may solve your problem for now. However, it is the slamming closed from the full open position over and over that causes check valves to wear out and start sticking to begin with. The CSV eliminates the repetitive cycling and will reduce the water flow to 1 GPM to fill the tank while the pump shuts off, so there is no slamming which would wear out the check valve.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
First off, only running 15 seconds is killing your pump/motor. It needs to run a minimum of 1 minute, 2 minutes is better, and never turning off when using water is best, regardless of how much electricity is being used. Starting a pump takes 6-9 times more energy than running, so letting it run can even reduce the electric bill compared to multiple starts. A house water pump electric bill is only about 5 bucks a month anyway. If running the pump longer increases that by a buck or two, it is way more than offset in making the pump and everything last longer.

The water hammer on pump stop is caused by the check valve sticking. Replacing the check valve may solve your problem for now. However, it is the slamming closed from the full open position over and over that causes check valves to wear out and start sticking to begin with. The CSV eliminates the repetitive cycling and will reduce the water flow to 1 GPM to fill the tank while the pump shuts off, so there is no slamming which would wear out the check valve.
I figure if I need to cut into the line to replace a Check Valve I may as well just do the CSV and call it a day.

I plan to add this in the near future. So I don't use the pressure switch that is on my pump anymore? I use the one in the kit? Also is my 20gal pressure tank still ok to keep?
I see I need to add a drain line? I can add that to the array of Backwash hoses leaving my Pump house.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as it it still good the 20 gallon tank will work fine with a CSV. And yes you use the pressure switch after the CSV and wire around the switch on the motor as shown in the wiring diagrams for a "jet pump". The pressure relief valve should never dump a drop of water unless there is a problem with the pressure switch and the pump does not shut off. But if it does dump some water you want a hose connected so it doesn't make a mess on the floor.