Cutting standpipes that are against a wall or in a corner

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rossn, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Rossn

Rossn Member

I have a number of 4" pvc stand pipes that need to be trimmed down, prior to new gutters being installed.

I always struggle when the pipe is against a wall or in a corner with cutting them off cleanly and flat... esp. when I take a multi-tool to it.

Is there a trick do doing this? I am thinking for the ones against a wall, using a back saw or similar saw with a wide blade may help. Any tips or tricks on this would be great.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Try a "cable saw".

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Use something like the metal band from a Fernco coupling as a cutting guide to follow.

5. Rossn

Rossn Member

Thanks, guys - 2 great options!

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Cable saw with the band to follow sounds like a good idea.. I've never tried it.. cable saws are kinda wonky to get a clean straight cut and once you start.. you need to cut all the way through or you will get it stuck in molten plastic

7. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades