Cracked PVC Toilet Flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Spaceball1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Spaceball1

Spaceball1 New Member

I'm replacing a toilet in an upstairs bathroom. Subfloor is plywood, finished floor is linoleum made to look like hardwood. House was built in '96 so this

After removing the old toilet & removing the old wax ring, i noticed that the flange was cracked. Since the old toilet didn't have any leaking issues, I tried to install the new one. I tried twice, and both times the hold down bolt on the side where it's cracked pulled through. This made me a bit nervous about re-using this flange.

Thoughts on whether I need to replace it? If so, then how exactly do I go about doing so? I've seen mentions of a repair flange. Is that a good option for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Sioux Chief makes a flange that will insert inside what you have, with a rubber seal. I normally cut them a bit shorter. It will need to be secured to the floor.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    I would secure the broken area down with a fender washer on either side of the toilet bolt, screwed to the subfloor. I keep a stash of washers that I've prepared just for that with a quarter inch lip bent over to grab the edge. Haven't seen one break like that before.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Your pictures disappear, but maybe one of the repair devices could hold your bolts for you.

You can use a flange repair device to hold the closet bolts, such as Superior 21015. This is usually used where you can screw in the hold-down screws a bit outside of the ring space. This is often a nice solution.

If you want to screw into the floor closer to the flange, check the Sioux Chief Ringer.
    http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/ringer