Cracked PVC Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceball1

Reaction score
I'm replacing a toilet in an upstairs bathroom. Subfloor is plywood, finished floor is linoleum made to look like hardwood. House was built in '96 so this

After removing the old toilet & removing the old wax ring, i noticed that the flange was cracked. Since the old toilet didn't have any leaking issues, I tried to install the new one. I tried twice, and both times the hold down bolt on the side where it's cracked pulled through. This made me a bit nervous about re-using this flange.

Thoughts on whether I need to replace it? If so, then how exactly do I go about doing so? I've seen mentions of a repair flange. Is that a good option for me?

closet-flange-broken-2.jpg

closet-flange-broken-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sioux Chief makes a flange that will insert inside what you have, with a rubber seal. I normally cut them a bit shorter. It will need to be secured to the floor.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would secure the broken area down with a fender washer on either side of the toilet bolt, screwed to the subfloor. I keep a stash of washers that I've prepared just for that with a quarter inch lip bent over to grab the edge. Haven't seen one break like that before.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe one of the repair devices could hold your bolts for you.

You can use a flange repair device to hold the closet bolts, such as Superior 21015. This is usually used where you can screw in the hold-down screws a bit outside of the ring space. This is often a nice solution.

If you want to screw into the floor closer to the flange, check the Sioux Chief Ringer.
http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/ringer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks