Crack in wall of laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

chessimprov

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this or if I need to look for another forum for this. If I need to look for another forum, any suggestions?

By observation, the crack(s) in this wall seem to have been created mainly from this shelving being improperly hooked on for over 9 years. How do I go about properly repairing this? Also, is the shelving that I had help getting removed, is that worth keeping, or should I recycle/discard of it?

Thank you.

https://ibb.co/duPvLy
https://ibb.co/hY2zfy

Reach4

Reaction score
Simplest is spackle followed latex paint.

There are more complex systems, such as one where you sand, and attach a thin fiberglass mesh, and then spackle.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There should be a pair of 2x4 studs running vertically on each side of the door frame, which would have been a solid mounting surface for shelving. I would check to see if the door frame is out-of-square, which would indicate a framing problem. If the framing shows no problem, regular drywall repair techniques can be used to repair the crack.

chessimprov

Reaction score
I read from a book called Adulting ( https://www.amazon.com/Adulting-Bec...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch ) something about how one has to consider whether they have dry wall or not before plastering over something prior. I'm pretty sure I don't have dry wall because I think a place made in 1999 won't have that factor for me to work with, but how do I know whether I would or not.

I am very thankful for this forum because I have no other friends I can ask or that have the know how in addition to me as to how to even do these simple things. Or if they do know, they aren't so helpful to be able to guide me or look around a bit.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have dry wall because I think a place made in 1999 won't have that factor for me to work with, but how do I know whether I would or not.
A house made in 1999 would typically have "drywall", unless it was premium construction.

chessimprov

Reaction score
So I guess whether the house has drywall or not is not a factor and I can just use the spackle and latex paint mentioned earlier?

Sorry, I have absolutely no sense of what's what and I just feel like I am pulled all over the place. I don't even know what spackle is besides that I need it or that I would've needed both spackle and latex paint if it wasn't mentioned.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Drywall has been popular in home building since the early 60's.

There are a bunch of different types of "spackle", which is a generic term for pastes which are used to repair minor cracks and nail holes.

Bearhunt

Reaction score
Cracks (other than paint spider cracks) happen because something is moving, loose, compressing. At least that is what I found in my drywall career. Make sure everything is properly fastened to the studs before patching

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Settling of the structure can cause cracks in the walls as can inadequately designed or installed things like a header. At least in my condo, they really skimped on the number of fasteners on the walls and ceilings...way fewer than the recommendations. This means that the walls can flex a bit more than they should.

A repair may require paper or mesh tape to keep from recurring, but just filling the gap with drywall compound may work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks