Correct hardness setting for Water-Right Impression Series Sanitizer Plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregory Wright

Reaction score
We have a Water-Right Impression Series Sanitizer Plus Softener, and our water has been "just right" for a number of years, up until about three weeks ago. Around that time the water went _really_ soft, leaving my wife in particular feeling like she can't get soap completely off her skin or hair. If this is something that I can address through the use of a hardness test and updating the settings myself, I'd prefer to do that than calling out a plumber for obvious reasons.

The problem is that while Water-Right has a great video showing how to make adjustments to the unit's settings (including hardness) on YouTube:
  • There is no guidance in the owner's manual for choosing a setting
  • I have not been able to find any guidance online regarding the setting
  • Water-Right has not responded to my request for information
So does anyone know this unit, and know what I would need to do in order to adjust the setting properly? Or know enough about the unit to tell me why I should call in a plumber with experience on these units instead of trying to address it myself?

Thank you very much in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is no guidance in the owner's manual for choosing a setting
You watched the video. What were the choices regarding the salt usage?

Any setting change now will not change the hardness to be higher immediately. You might be able to tease the bypass to give you a mix of hard and soft. Maybe not.

Gregory Wright

Reaction score

Any setting change now will not change the hardness to be higher immediately. You might be able to tease the bypass to give you a mix of hard and soft. Maybe not.

The range of settings is 0 to 155ppg. The current setting is 9ppg.

I kind of figured it would take a while for the system to adjust and deliver a desired level of hardness. The main thing I didn't want to do was make it worse as a result of changing a setting. I'm also curious as to what could have caused the water to go so soft all of a sudden.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The hardness setting will only assist the softener to calculate the number of gallons that are to be softened before regeneration will be needed. The appropriate hardness setting is determined by testing the amount of hardness in the water to be conditioned by the softener.

Changing the hardness setting will not change the actual softness of the water exiting the softener as all water flowing through the softener will pass through the resin media where hardness ions (calcium and magnesium) will be removed and exchanged with sodium ions. Of course, if the resin's softening capacity is exceeded, then hardness will be removed while capacity remains but the water will then become hard once the capacity has been depleted.

Some softeners are equipped with a small diameter line between the inlet and outlet connections. This will allow some hard water to blend with the softened water exiting the softener which will be controlled by a small manual valve to adjust the amount of hardness 'leakage'. This blending valve is not a common 'feature' as most people with a softener, usually want the water to be as soft as possible. If your softener is equipped with a blending valve, perhaps someone adjusted it without knowing its purpose?

The quantity of salt utilized for regeneration will also influence the amount of hardness leakage through the resin media. Programming a lower salt amount will reduce the softener's regenerated capacity per regeneration cycle, but will also increase the amount of hardness leakage over time. If you specify the currently programmed settings, we may be able to assist you with adjustments.

Since your concern is water that is too soft, it sounds as though your softener has been allowing hardness leakage for some time. Hardness in water will combine with soaps, shampoo, etc to form sticky curds that will stick to skin and hair, just as it does to create a bathtub ring.

The slippery feeling you are now experiencing is due to no soap adhering to you, so you are actually feeling the natural oils in your hair and skin without sticky residue. Soft water will actually rinse away soap and shampoo more thoroughly than hard water, but the amount of soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, fabric softener and dishwasher detergent will also need to be reduced as less is required when the water is soft.

Over a short time, if you allow, you will become accustomed to the new feeling, and once accustomed, you will likely feel less clean when bathing with water that contains any amount of hardness.

Gregory Wright

Reaction score
The hardness setting will only assist the softener to calculate the number of gallons that are to be softened before regeneration will be needed. The appropriate hardness setting is determined by testing the amount of hardness in the water to be conditioned by the softener.

Changing the hardness setting will not change the actual softness of the water exiting the softener as all water flowing through the softener will pass through the resin media where hardness ions (calcium and magnesium) will be removed and exchanged with sodium ions. Of course, if the resin's softening capacity is exceeded, then hardness will be removed while capacity remains but the water will then become hard once the capacity has been depleted.

Some softeners are equipped with a small diameter line between the inlet and outlet connections. This will allow some hard water to blend with the softened water exiting the softener which will be controlled by a small manual valve to adjust the amount of hardness 'leakage'. This blending valve is not a common 'feature' as most people with a softener, usually want the water to be as soft as possible. If your softener is equipped with a blending valve, perhaps someone adjusted it without knowing its purpose?

The quantity of salt utilized for regeneration will also influence the amount of hardness leakage through the resin media. Programming a lower salt amount will reduce the softener's regenerated capacity per regeneration cycle, but will also increase the amount of hardness leakage over time. If you specify the currently programmed settings, we may be able to assist you with adjustments.

No one has touched the settings, and there does not appear to be anything resembling what you have described as a blending valve. The head unit only has a hardness setting, in addition to time of day, regen period and regen time of day, so it does not appear that there is an explicit way to control the salt.

I had posted this same question in the DIY section of stackexchange.com, and one of the folks there had mentioned adjusting the pH of the water as a way of also addressing the hardness. Which made me realize that I left out the fact that the sanitizer is preceded by a WaterRight Impression Series Acid Neutralizer, whose head unit has _no_ settings other than time of day, regen period and regen time of day. I'm not sure how that changes things, but I feel that full disclosure is best.

Since your concern is water that is too soft, it sounds as though your softener has been allowing hardness leakage for some time. Hardness in water will combine with soaps, shampoo, etc to form sticky curds that will stick to skin and hair, just as it does to create a bathtub ring.

We haven't had any of that manifesting, we just haven't had this slickness.

The slippery feeling you are now experiencing is due to no soap adhering to you, so you are actually feeling the natural oils in your hair and skin without sticky residue. Soft water will actually rinse away soap and shampoo more thoroughly than hard water, but the amount of soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, fabric softener and dishwasher detergent will also need to be reduced as less is required when the water is soft.

Over a short time, if you allow, you will become accustomed to the new feeling, and once accustomed, you will likely feel less clean when bathing with water that contains any amount of hardness.

I will probably be acclimated to it soon. However, this has been going on for close to four weeks, and my wife shows no signs of acclimation or being any less annoyed with the performance of the unit.

Gregory Wright

Reaction score

There is only one setting available - hardness. There are no settings for controlling the salt flow.

Gregory Wright

Reaction score
Setting the gpg to match the hardness test number appears to have done the trick - the missus is happy, and all is right with the world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks