Correct diameter for bathroom fan outlet duct & vent itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Where can I find good practices or code for the size of bathroom vent piping & outlet? My hall bath vented into the attic. A few years ago I replaced the fan, and it was extremely quiet and kept the mirror from fogging up. I just paid a plumbing contractor $$$ to vent it outside, and he said it would be best on the roof not under the eave. But now the fan is noisy & the mirror fogs up. I don't think I oversized it (much) for the room (about 6x8). IIRC 110 ft^/min. I have to dig up the specs for the fan... But the vent on the roof is pretty small; they used decent sized flex duct until the vent itself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
8-10 exchanges per hour. Some fans can accept multiple duct sizes...larger will tend to be quieter and have higher flow rates; it depends some on how long the run is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks