Bathroom fan: have 4 inch duct, want a 6 inch and more powerful fan

Users who are viewing this thread

slindenkohl

Reaction score
If my current fan vents to a flat roof and is a 4 inch duct, what are my options for installing a more powerful fan - at least 150 CFMs. How hard is it to replace the entire duct? Do I need to or can I use an adapter? I have a large bathroom with a double shower, at least 150 sq. feet.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
One problem is do you have access above the ceiling to make the change? You can use a flex duct which will make it easy to do. You're not in a cold climate so condensation would not be an issue. The real issue is the size of the current exhaust vent/hood. If it is for a 4", it can cause some restriction. Changing it up to 6" exhaust hood may require some work on the roof to properly seal it and allow rain water to drain away.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its easy to replace the entire system as long as you have access . of cource every job is differant . the flat roof makes it easy to go on roof safely assuming you have a large attic to work in that will make it easy as well

slindenkohl

Reaction score
Thank you. The fan is above the toilet and it just exhausts a couple of feet up on the roof. Sounds like I can't just switch to a 6 inch duct easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks