Copper pipe through concrete foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

cx222

Reaction score
I am planning out an underground sprinkler system and need to bore a hole through a concrete foundation wall to bring 3/4" copper pipe through. The point where the pipe will come through is above grade, and in a northern/freezing climate. The concrete foundation is roughly 90 years old.

I've read elsewhere that you need to drill a large enough hole put in a PVC or ABS sleeve to isolate the copper from the concrete. Is this really necessary if the concrete has already been poured/cured? Is the purpose of the sleeve only meant to save you from having to drill after pouring new concrete? If the concrete's already set (and foundation is settled), then I don't really see a need for a sleeve. I would just drill a slightly larger hole (maybe 1" or 1-1/4") and pack the annular space with silicone or expanding foam. Does this sound reasonable?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks