Copper fitting didn't sweat. What a giant fiasco!

Users who are viewing this thread

Landcruiser

Reaction score
So I was preassembling some copper and all was going smoothly. Until I got to the fitting from hell. No idea why it wouldn't pull the solder into the joint but nothing I did seemed to matter. Everything was clean and fluxed just like the others. I ended up running to town to buy another of the same fitting and it went together lickety split. I wish I wouldn't have wasted a half hour on it.

Life's great mysteries...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most likely, it wasn't quite clean, or you didn't get a good coat of flux, or, you overheated the joint. One thing that can cause a failed joint is if the last one is in a closed system, and the heated air blows through the liquid solder before it solidifies.

Landcruiser

Reaction score
Maybe I overheated it. It was so bizarre. Everything else seemed pretty identical, cleaning and flux-wise. It was open and dry so there wasn't any pressure.

Raging

The Niggardly Plumber
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends solder copper tubing anymore.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Since they went to lead-free solder, you have to get things hotter. It makes things a bit harder. I've found that using a tinning flux can help. The solder in the flux melting is a quick sign things are hot enough to add more to finish it off. If you do this every day, it probably wouldn't matter, as you'd have gained enough experience to be able to tell reliably. For the occasional DIY'er, a tinning flux is a good crutch.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I was preassembling some copper and all was going smoothly. Until I got to the fitting from hell. No idea why it wouldn't pull the solder into the joint but nothing I did seemed to matter. Everything was clean and fluxed just like the others. I ended up running to town to buy another of the same fitting and it went together lickety split. I wish I wouldn't have wasted a half hour on it.

Life's great mysteries...
I've had copper do that before. if you swirl the fitting in alcohol and clean the pipe end with alcohol, that works about 100% of the time

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Most likely, it wasn't quite clean, or you didn't get a good coat of flux, or, you overheated the joint. One thing that can cause a failed joint is if the last one is in a closed system, and the heated air blows through the liquid solder before it solidifies.

How do you determine if you're overheating it?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I just finished making probably 30 connections while replacing my boiler. Luckily, the vast majority came out fine. Unfortunately, two in an almost inaccessible space leaked. They were next to the wall, behind the air handler and indirect tank at arms length, and I really had to do that by feel since to reach it with the torch and solder, I couldn't get my head into a position where I could see...very annoying. So, I didn't feel too bad that it didn't work! I ended up cutting that section out, redoing most of those with soldered fittings, and left one for a Sharkbite as I did not feel confident trying to redo that, again, where I really couldn't see what was happening. Ever had to try to get enough leverage to seat a Sharkbite when it's so far away you can barely get your hand around it? That was a bear, but it's in and isn't leaking. I really didn't want to cut out the indirect, move it out of the way, and fix that one joint, then requiring a huge amount of work putting it all back together. This is all leading up to what did go right.

When you don't solder pipes every day, I really prefer to use Oately #95 tinning flux (there may be other tinning fluxes out there, but that's what I've found and use). This has powdered solder mixed in it. SPread a good coat on things, and it gives you a visual of when the joint is hot enough to add your solder because you can already see that solder is melting. You need to keep moving your torch, and primarily heating the fitting rather than the pipe - you do need to heat both, but get the fitting hot. You can tell that a joint is overheated by the color...copper will turn sort of a purplish as you get it hotter than necessary. I feel that the required water based fluxes are easier to burn than the old (no longer approved) acid based ones. The tinning flux is a good crutch for someone that doesn't do it all of the time, but is more expensive. When you add up the time and inconvenience of an incorrectly done joint, it may come out cheaper. If you do this often enough, you'll learn.

Anyway, heat the joint and periodically pull the flame and see if the solder will melt. If it doesn't, keep heating. Once it's hot enough to melt, get the solder all around the joint. If you've evenly heated it up, the solder will flow and wick into the full joint. When I pulled that failed joint apart, it was more the fact that I wasn't able to properly heat all around the fitting, as it wasn't actually overheated, just lacking enough solder. An overheated one, if you take it apart, will have blackened voids/scorch marks where you've burned out the flux and created oxides. The copper must be clean for the solder to flow, and the flux, before you burn it out, helps to prevent oxygen enabling the corrosion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks