Converting Tub To Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

sferry

Reaction score
I currently have a standard size tub with whirlpool jets installed in my master bath. I am guessing it was installed when the house was built about 25 years ago. I would like to remove the tub/whirlpool and replace it with a custom stand-up shower. Is this possible? Any idea of how much something like this might cost?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Some considerations: ( I am helping my daughter right now address this same possible conversion) I suggested that she get input from a real estate broker about whether this hurts the resale value of the house. They have another tub, and plan to be in the house for a long time, so this will probably not weigh high on their list, but think about it, anyway.

As t the plumbing, the tub is on a 1½" drain, and the shower must be 2" . Probably, the 1½" trap below the tub connects to a 2" branch within a fairly short distance, so a plumber would need to see this to determine how easy or hard it will be to fix the drain. It this is on a slab, it might require a little "hard rock mining"!

The total cost for materials for a new shower valve, pan, or tile floor, and tile walls could be under $1000. If you want a corian pan, or corian or slate walls, this would be higher. The shower valve could run from $100 to $500 or more. When you start looking, ask some questions here, because we have lots of opinions on that subject.

The labor to do this is a lot, so if you contract it done it will be expensive. Can't even guess on rates in your area, and not seeing the job.

This type of work is a challenging but very doable DIY project if you are so inclined. You can get plenty of plumbing info right here, and if you want to get into ceramic tile, just get some book, take a class at the homestore, and especially cruise over to this excellent tile forum:
www.johnbridge.com

The homestore will help you with the actual tile install info, but may be very light on how to properly prepare so that the walls are plumb and waterproof. That's where these forums come in!

kc567567

Reaction score
sferry said:
I currently have a standard size tub with whirlpool jets installed in my master bath. I am guessing it was installed when the house was built about 25 years ago. I would like to remove the tub/whirlpool and replace it with a custom stand-up shower. Is this possible? Any idea of how much something like this might cost?

Just did one, check out this thread:

Hansgrohe shower panel?

The contractor was an older guy and took about 80 hours. So, multiply that by their labour rate. Some guys will work faster.

Then add for doors, tiles, fixtures etc. I'm in Canada so the prices here are somewhat inflated (eg 240 tiles@0.50, door was ~$700cdn, tower ~$1300cdn, base ~$600cdn).

Replaced this:

The_before_2.jpg

With this:

master_bath002.jpg

KC

Last edited by a moderator:

kc567567

Reaction score
jimbo said:
Some considerations: ......... the tub is on a 1½" drain, and the shower must be 2" . Probably, the 1½" trap below the tub connects to a 2" branch within a fairly short distance, so a plumber would need to see this to determine how easy or hard it will be to fix the drain. It this is on a slab, it might require a little "hard rock mining"...............!

Yes, an important point made. In my case the ceiling below was damaged due to the inept builder install so access from below was no problem.

Also, avoid the use of greenboard in the shower area entirely …. go with cement board or equivalent.

KC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks