Dummy DIY question about bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Imcool

Reaction score
hi All,
I am DIY person so my knowledge is very little as compare you professionals.

The washroom in my house has this whirpool jet bathtub previously installed by ex owner. ( Not sure if its whirlpool or jet tub but my tub looks like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jacuzzi-Pr...ft-Hand-Drain-Alcove-Whirlpool-Tub/1000292051 )
The tub is pretty old and i would like to plan its replacement.

I thought of 2 options:
A Get it glazed but i dont know if it works good or not, youtube doesnt help much on glazing old bathtubs and it seems lots of work as well grinding current tub and who knows if it will turn out good or not.

B get a new bathtub. Now I saw online and the whirpool jet tubs are like 4000$ :( not sure why they are so expensive, i just need the tub not the motor, pipes etc as its all there in washroom.

is it possible to buy a regular bath tub and put holes in it, same holes as current bathtub and mod it to whirpool bathtub again?
The reason I am inclined towards the whirpool jet tub is because if I change the jet tub to regular tub it will be more work to remove electricals/plumbing for whirlpool tub and since everything related to whirpool tub is already installed why not just put whirpool tub back ( even though I rarely use jet bath )_

not sure what to do, Can you help me out here choosing the correct path.

thankyou

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea with a bunch of couplings and hose clamops and duct tape you can build yer own.
Put a new tub in or have it re painted by one of those companys if you want a cheap fix . My tub that I installed 5 years ago has never been used, So I wouldnt want it jetted. your wants could vary

Imcool

Reaction score
Yea with a bunch of couplings and hose clamops and duct tape you can build yer own.
Put a new tub in or have it re painted by one of those companys if you want a cheap fix . My tub that I installed 5 years ago has never been used, So I wouldnt want it jetted. your wants could vary
those repaint companies doesnt exist where I am.
I guess I will just put a new tub then.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Re-Surfacing tubs never works from my experience. The biggest failure is that the drain and overflow fittings are never removed by the surfacing company, or whomever and that leaves a crack in the surface that allows water to get under.

When we do tubs for resurfacing, I will only do them if the drain assembly is removed and replaced with a cable drive style drain. The reason I only use cable drive is because the tub shoe drain doesn't need to thread in to seal and therefore spin and scratch that surface. So far I haven't heard of any of the ones we've been asked to do failing, but thats also not my warranty, so I may never hear of them failing. But that is the only way I'll work on them.

I've never attempted to create my own jetted tub. Sounds like a royal PITA to me. But... If its what you want and you have the time and energy to save some cash, I don't see

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive seen refinished tubs that werent horrible but I think its pretty much throwing money away or a short term fix. replacing a tub tub not cheap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks