Connecting brass P-trap to ABS drain, without slip joint

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by RuralAtlantic, May 18, 2021.

1. RuralAtlantic

RuralAtlantic New Member

I'm trying to connect a 1-1/4" brass p-trap (for an exposed vanity) to the 1-1/2" ABS drain line. The challenge is that the wall that the drain is in is very shallow (about 2.5") and the pipe escutcheon/flange is not deep enough to cover an entire slip join, it is just deep enough to cover the exposed sanitary T join (see my 2nd pic). We are putting up 3/8" thick beadboard instead of drywall, so that won't add much more depth to work with.

In my ideal situation, I would replace the 1-1/2" sanitary T with one that reduces to 1-1/4" for the p-trap, then connect them with some sort of sealant, but I don't know, is there's anything that works with brass and ABS?

The top of this T goes to the vent for this sink.

PXL_20210518_234228060.jpg

Showing how little clearance there is. Here the escutcheon is flush against the ABS, and it's just in-line with the studs, meaning the beadboard would add 3/8" clearance.

PXL_20210518_234247936.jpg

2. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

This should work

Screenshot_20210518-173051_Chrome.jpg

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. RuralAtlantic

RuralAtlantic New Member

Right, I know I could fall back to using a slip join and try to make sure it gets covered up nicely if the escutcheon is not deep enough, but I'm wondering if there's any sort of sealant product that would work for brass and ABS?

5. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

No, no sealant option. The part plumber69 mentioned (spigot trap adapter, spigot x SJ) is your lowest profile option. You can get a brass box escutcheon if necessary.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  7. RuralAtlantic

RuralAtlantic New Member

Okay, thanks for the guidance everyone!