Connecting a pressure-reducing valve to PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

JustAGeek

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster here...

I'm looking at add a PRV to an existing underground sprinkler system that was plumbed using 1" PVC. For ease of maintenance, I'd like to mount the PRV above ground on the riser that holds the PVB. Seems pretty standard fare except...I'm not sure how best to connect the PRV to PVC using the minimum necessary fittings.

PRVs come in a variety of connections but the majority seem to have either a single sweat union or dual sweat unions. PRVs with other connection options don't seem to be as readily-available.

So let's say I choose one of the common models that features at least one union. What's the best way to connect that union to PVC? I can sweat the union's brass flange to a short piece of copper to mate to the PRV and a sweat a copper MIP fitting to the other end to mate with a PVC FIP fitting (so the progression would look like PRV-->brass union --> copper stub --> copper MIP --> PVC FIP --> rest of PVC riser) but is there a better way? Does there exist a PVC equivalent to the brass sweat flange so that I can mate a PVC pipe directly to the union on the PRV?

Thanks!

JustAGeek

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't realize models with female-threaded unions were available. That will make things much simpler. I'll look more closely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks