Confusion over 2015 NAECA regs. Help requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

1oldman

Reaction score
I seem to recall that a decade or so ago new energy efficiency codes were written by NAECA such that manufacturers would need to increase the efficiency of all domestic hot water heaters sold after 4/16/2015. Meant different approaches to gas vs. electric. As far as natural gas tank water heaters go, anything under 55 gallons got more insulation (making them bulkier), and anything over 55 gallons had an entirely different set of rules because they use more energy. For those larger heaters they would require a 'condensing unit' which retained heat in the heater making it more efficient, but because the exhaust gases were now cooler, they would no longer be able to be naturally atmospherically vented through a flue as in the past. Instead, they would now all be equipped with powervents (PV) and vented through a wall. Seemed gone were the days of a 55 gallon traditional, non electric PV unit, atmospherically vented through the chimney flue as before. I know that's what I read, watched, and was told. But now it seems that I see currently manufactured 75 gal. atmospherically vented (no electric power required) natural gas hot water heaters that meet current ANSI code being manufactured and sold by all major manufacturers. I ask for someone knowledgeable to help me understand this. We have frequent power outages (sometimes for days) and having hot water is a lifesaver, so when it's time I would like to replace my old water heater with exactly the same type of non PV venting (flue/chimney) unit and want to know the code compliant options available. Thanks in advance for help understanding.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Not from NJ but Lowes sell natural aspirated heaters too with Low NOx burners, b vent for the flue and electronic gas valve (makes their own voltage). Need 95% + efficiency for Federal tax incentives and rebates from your gas company. Sure you gas company has more info on rebates.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing you need a heater that big because you have a bunch of kids?

If the water heater is a available to buy what's the problem?

I'm not sure there's anyone here familiar enough with those type of regulations to give you a good answer. Do your have a local inspector your trying to please? I would ask whomever your trying to please.

Some "laws" are written so that a manufacturer can still make and sell a thing but they are now under a different category. Or the new category is this, but the old category still applies but the manufacturer doesn't qualify for certain tax breaks, or funding for X is no longer available for product X. These are just guesses. Hopefully someone knows more about what your referring to.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just looked and a could be mistaken, but those regulations only apply to residential water heaters. We install commercial water heaters in people's homes frequently. I'm not sure if that helps, but I think you'd have to find a law or statute that says your can't install commercial equipment in your home to have this law effect you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks